My 80 Z Clone (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by J. Chris Davis, Jul 26, 2013.

1. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    I'm using mine for under the dash so the flat side will not be seen and if you put dressing on any of your interior parts they do get a little glossy. So I'm confident these panels will blend in fine.

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Lowe's has some. I'll take a look at them.

3. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    So I've gotten a little side tracked. I had to replace my driver door handle because it decided to break. I finally got my door windows adjusted to near perfect fit with the new weather stripping. Just a couple of tweaks to the weather stripping and I should have a good seal all the way around. Since I had to take my door panels off I decided it was time to add power door lock switches to my set up. Since 2003 I've only had my keyless entry remote to lock and unlock the doors. I think I'm going to go with some 4th Gen Firebird switches and put them on the arm rest surface of my door panels. I think once I get this new project finished I can get the car in the air and start working on the parking brakes and the lower dash panels.

4. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    I am looking for a power door lock actuator harness plug for a 78-81 style actuator.

5. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    Found what I was looking for in a pile of old wiring I had laying around.

6. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    The door locks and keyless entry are wired and rewired and everything tests good. Found a couple of 4th gen Firebird door lock switches and a passenger side switch bezel to use. I started working on the switch bezel I got and started to cut that apart. Going to use that as a template for the switch holes and cut the switch mounts out of as well. Once I have a good template and measured on the lower door panel where I want them to go I will get that cut and start attaching the switch holders to the door panel. I think JB Weld should hold these on there pretty well. Along with the pictures I posted the wiring diagram I drew up for this setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  7. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    Got my templates made and door panels marked. Started cutting out the hole for the driver side switch. I will get more progress and hopefully some more pictures tomorrow. With any luck this should look good once I'm all done. I'm also thinking about using the steering wheel I put on my 87 IROC. I like the feel of it compared to the one I have on the 80. I'll just put the stock wheel back on the IROC for now. I can strip the black paint off if I don't like how it looks. It was originally natural aluminum, but I painted it for the looks in the IROC.

Picture of the steering wheel currently in the IROC.
    [​IMG]

8. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    Cut the switch holes in the door panels and glued the switch holders on over the weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    Picture of the harnesses I made for each door switch so I don't have to take the whole door panel apart to get the switch disconnected.

[​IMG]

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Looking sweet. Nice install