My 80 Z Clone (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by J. Chris Davis, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Steve.Brink

Steve.Brink New Member

May 5, 2015
    Benton, WI
    Any update on the parking brake? That looks like a very slick setup! I may have to try that on mine since I am swapping to a T56.

2. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    Nothing as of yet. Didn't get a chance to do anything due to the holidays and now it's been too cold. I have my door weather stripping I want to replace first and finishing adjusting my windows. Then I'll probably need to start on that project. I think I am going to just weld the actuator and cable brackets directly to the frame instead of the other way I was thinking with cutting out a section in the frame and making a plate with threaded nuts welded to the plate and then welded to the frame.

3. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    Well, I did a little bit on Saturday. I took my door panels off so I can get my windows adjusted a little better and replaced the door weather stripping so now the entire car is Soffseal. I'll have the old weather stripping which is only about 5 years old at the most and never out in the weather on the for sale thread. I just didn't like how stiff the other stuff I bought from year one felt. I think it was all OER brand. I also got one of the brackets modified for the parking brake assembly. Forgot to get a picture which I will do during lunch today and post. I also bought some ABS plastic stock so I can try to build some under dash panels. That probably won't be in until next week.

4. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
  5. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    Got the plastic stock that I am going to try to make some under dash panels with.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    That stuff looks pretty good. Where did you get it?

7. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    The plastic stock I bought off of Ebay. I got 1/8" thick 24"x24". It's called ABS plastic sheet. I will need to cut it down to size and hopefully get it to form with a heat gun. We will see how that goes, lol.

8. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I'm thinking about putting it on my package tray. What would it look like?

9. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    The stuff I bought looks the same as what J. Chris is showing. I used it to make a block off plate and a speaker grill support. Stiffness and thickness wise, the material would probably work well for a package tray, but it might have too much gloss. One side is smooth and very shiny. The other side is grained, but it still somewhat shiny. Not nearly as much as the other side, but it's definitely not a matte finish. More of a shiny satin. I suspect you would get a fair amount of glare coming off it. I would recommend you get a small piece so you can see it in person and decide. Of course you could always paint/dye it in a matte finish. Be warned. The stuff is not what I would call cheap. A big piece like that might be pricey. Been a while since I looked at the prices though.