My 80 Z Clone (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by J. Chris Davis, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Very cool. Nice car as well.

2. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    Got the homelink garage door opener put in the car Saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Twisted72 likes this.
  3. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    So for my next project I am going to work on this winter will finally be the parking brakes. I won't be putting a parking brake handle in the console like I was originally going to do. I didn't really want to cut up my console for it and still wasn't sure I liked how it looked. So I have found a 2" stroke, 225 lbs force linear actuator that I'm going to most likely mount to my welded in subframe connector and use the Lokar cables I got. I'm still looking at other possible locations. I'll wire up a momentary rocker switch and hide it on the bottom side of my dash. This is the actuator I found. Also including a Youtube video of the exact thing I'm doing that someone did with the C2 Corvette which is where I got the idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-12-Inch-Black-Linear-Actuator-Stroke-225-Pound-Max-Lift-Output-12V-Volt-DC/152671861711?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=452229246191&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Love it. E-Stopp sells their control box separately for $129. Good option and super easy to wire up. Just added it to the list, but not until after the rear brake upgrade which is a couple of cycles away!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/esc-esr001/overview/

Post your install and results and part numbers....great for future reference. Great progress!

5. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    I was originally looking at the E-stop or adapting a GM version then found that video and that does look like a really good option.

6. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    His set up is exactly the same as the E-Stopp set up, he is just not paying full price for their actuator, that is where the savings are. Looks like you can do it for around $250-75 as opposed to $479 and still use their controller box. Their actuator is just connected to their controller box with a power and ground wire so nothing special and I would think any aftermarket one should work.

7. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    I may or may not use the controller box. The actuator has limit switches to stop itself when it's fully extended or retracted. I'm still undecided on what I want to do there. The price is largely why I'm looking into this set up and I also thought it was kind of neat.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  8. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    Got the switch, dust boot and actuator in Saturday. I should have taken a picture before I put the boot on the actuator. I should have the mounting bracket in the mail today.

[​IMG]

9. J. Chris Davis

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    Got a new OER dash bezel. Fits pretty well. I had to make a plate to cover half of the lighted area on the wiper switched since this is a 70-72 bezel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]