My 73 Type LT Winter build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Printstron, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Printstron

Printstron Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    Thanks it hasn't always been this clean but hopefully it can stay that way throughout out the build.

As for progress not much time today but I made it a point to do something

I pulled the driver side headlamp and bezel off.

[​IMG]
    IMG_0939 by printstron, on Flickr

Bagged and tagged!

[​IMG]
    IMG_0941 by printstron, on Flickr

2. LtRsZ

LtRsZ Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Hows your interior?

3. Printstron

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    The interior is good not great but good. I'll take some shots of it tonight. I think when I get to that point though I will be changing it. I like that old vinyl look, but my wife wants a white with orange sticking. (Chicago Bears) The exterior will be blue with white stripes.

Since I had no time before I went to work last night, when I got home this morning I "went to work" before bed

I broke a clip taking off the lower nose panel. It is to rusted to get off I sprayed it with WD-40 so I will see if it comes off when I wake up.

Any suggestions if I won't come off?

[​IMG]
    IMG_0946 by printstron, on Flickr

4. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Central Coast, CA
    PB blaster seems to work better than WD-40. I was recently tearing down a 56 F600 farm truck that has never had a roof over it in 55 years. The fasteners on that thing were BRUTAL.
    A lot of the body fasteners were so ugly that I ended up going straight to the cut off wheel... did less damage than the nut spinning, etc.
    You could try heat, ie, I use a propane torch, but not on a painted car.. too easy to ruin the paint in your case.

When you go to reassemble, a hardware kit from any of the vendors is hard to beat. I got a set for my Camaro years ago, and it was very worth the cost. I wont bother re-using the hardware from any of my future projects...

5. Printstron

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    I'll try to find some PB Blaster. I never thought of trying heat before I'm not worried about the paint the previous owner must have tried rattle cans or something cause its not nice.

I thought about the cutoff wheel but I haven't seen whats under the paint yet to see if I'll be replacing the fenders and am too much of a girl to risk slicing through it. Maybe I'll go buy a torch tomorrow.

I keep forgetting to bring my Classic Industries catalog with me to work so I haven't had time to look through it, but I am missing some hardware already and thought about getting pieces I needed. It hadn't dawned on me there might be a whole hardware kit available.
    Thanks.

6. big matt

big matt Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I found that Liquid Wrench is ok for stuck hardware but AeroKroil is the best. I think you can hit their website or call them for a sample that will last a long time.

I picked up the Fisher body manual, the GM Chassis manual and the GM assembly manual. They give you pretty much everything.

Looks like a great car to work with.

7. LtRsZ

LtRsZ Veteran Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Buy the full hardware kit, but save and bag as much of the old stuff as you can save. You will end up needing a bit of both. I never throw anything out untill the new is assembled and done.

8. Printstron

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    Yeah I have to order those cause I'm just kinda winging it right now.

But here are some updates:

[​IMG]
    IMG_0947 by printstron, on Flickr

I torched that clip and it still would come off so me and my handy hacksaw went at it.

This is the worst of the rust (so far) lets hope it stays that way.

[​IMG]
    IMG_0947 by printstron, on Flickr

9. Printstron

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    Not much done the last two days, but I did get this in yesterday.

[​IMG]
    IMG_0952 by printstron, on Flickr

10. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    First off, welcome! These could be fighting words here...be careful! ;)
    Now, important stuff...

Take lots of pictures; they always come in handy during reassemble.

And do not completely trust the parts boxes you buy. Sometimes the fasteners are different.

You have the right idea bagging everything as it comes off.

I would only suggest that you clean and protect any part you put back on. That little girl of yours could be the owner one day! :D

It can be as simple as using a wire brush and painting with Rustoleum or ZeroRust, but try to protect the parts as you restore them. Don't use Rustoleum on galvanized parts.

I installed a large 220V air compressor and bought a table sized cabinet blaster to clean up small parts before I painted or otherwise protected them.

What you do depends on what your goal is in the "revamp" you do. If you want to see the "anal" type of restoration, just check out my progress thread! :D