My 70 RS/SS 350

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by John Wright, Feb 19, 2008.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Worked on those two pesky bolts that wouldn't come out last night.
    [​IMG]

Got em'! I heated, beat, and drilled out the center and then finally turned it with a sharp chisel and it came on out, moved to the other side and rinsed and repeated.
    [​IMG]
    I ran out of time last night but now I can get to the fuel rail and injectors to swap out the 24#'rs for the 80#'rs.

Oh, and some 3" Stainless Steel Pypes showed up yesterday.
    [​IMG]

2. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Okotoks, Alberta
    Time to invest in a set of easy outs.

John Wright likes this.
  3. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Easy outs don't work too well on those allen head bolts unless you drill deep enough for the easy out to bite in the bolt. The fine threads in those metric bolts really made those bolts tighten up.

4. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    On Wisconsin!
    Those bolts looked like a PITA, John.... the exhaust looks nice

John Wright likes this.
  5. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I hope to get to put in some more time on it tonight, but we'll see. My internet has been out at the house for over a month and Verizon is out there this morning and told me there is nothing coming into my house and it's all on their end somewhere. Killing my cell phone data! Next up is removing the fuel rails and swapping out the injectors. Then I can put it all back and finish wiring up the MS3 computer. I have most of the sensors wired up, I need to run back over it all and put a fresh set of eyes on it before turning the switched 12v power loose on it. If all of that goes well, I will have to get the laptop synced up and see if it connects and can read everything.

6. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Hey Harry did I tell ya that I got the cross-over from the driver's side exhaust re-routed around the serpentine belt(they fouled each other by about half of the diameter of the 3" pipe)?
    Started with cutting 18° pie cuts (9° cuts on each side) out of a straight piece of 3" SS tubing.
    [​IMG]
    Then taped the pieces of pie together, clocking them as needed to get by the belt.
    [​IMG]
    I ended up having to weld it up with SS mig wire vs tig (I need parts for my tig torch) so the struggle was real trying to weld thin SS with a machine that is too big for the job. But it will get covered in insulation wrap anyway, or I can spend some time and polish the turd with a flap disc.
    [​IMG]

7. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Work has been crazy but managed a few minutes over the weekend to dig those injectors out. It seems that the #80 injectors are about 3/16" shorter than the stock #24 ones. Not sure what to do with this, I need to see if I can just space the fuel rail or trim the hold down bolts...or if I even have room to bolt these down closer to the intake or not. I also ordered an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and an electronic boost controller(MS3 has outputs to control this directly), hopefully those will be in this week. Baby steps forward...

8. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    On Wisconsin!
    the exhaust work looks good John!! That is a lot of tedious work :)

9. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Parts are in, now I need some time to get it all onto the car.

10. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Got the adjustable top installed on my fuel regulator and put the 80# injectors in, then put all of the tubular runners and plenum back on. Next up is mounting the MS3 and plugging in all of the harness connections.