My 70 RS/SS 350

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by John Wright, Feb 19, 2008.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Spent alot of time riding the roads looking for a 69 Camaro...someone that knew I was looking for a camaro said they knew where a 70 was, so it perked my interest. I rode out and gave the guy a cashier's check and brought it home. Here it sits at my father-in-law's the day I bought it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. rgearhead

rgearhead Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 14, 2006
    SOUTHWEST CHICAGO, ILL
    how long ago did you buy it john,,,

3. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    I'm thinking back....I believe it was in late 2000 or early 2001...I'll have to grab the title and see.

I joined NastyZ right after I purchased it, looked up all of the info I could find in Mad Mike's Archives. I forgot my login and password so I rejoined in 2002 and started participating in the forum.

I found that it was still a numbers matching car; motor, tranny, and rear axle were still all original to the car. The air cleaner had 350/300hp sticker on it, but I figured anybody could place a sticker on a lid. But it had the original CRE 350 that matched the VIN still in place.

First thing that I was able to do to the car was to order up all of the suspension and steering parts and replaced all of the worn out, 30+ year old stuff with new.

edit: I found on the 2007 personal property tax sheet that it was purchased in Aug of 2001.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  4. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    The rear axle.....the saga continues

The following picture is the result of trying to replace the rear brake linings on my drum brakes. I found that the axle seals were weeping just a bit, so I may as well replace those while I have it apart......which leads into other things.

[​IMG]

Well, I was in the process of pulling out the rear axles to replace the axle seals, but ran into a snag when trying to remove the bolt that holds the c-clips in the carrier. That bolt had been sheared off for some time and now I cannot get the c-clips out. With the guideance of Big Gear Head(a member here) I mananged to drill a hole into the carrier and was able to get the remaining portion of that bolt out. While I was into the rear, I ended up replacing the 3.07 ratio rear gear with a 3.73 and the single traction carrier with an Eaton posi unit. I decided to clean the housing up a bit while I had it out and welded up the axle tubes to the housing, plus cleaned up the factory plug welds and welded them closed. The factory did such a poor job welding these and they leaked rear diff grease. I also added stiffener plates at the front and rear of the spring perches while I had the welder out. And to top off the axle clean up, I added a DTS rear cover with the bearing cap girdle to help prevent the bearing caps from walking around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before I installed the rear back underneath the car, I took a minute to research the Herb Adams Modification. This mod relocates the mounting hole for the front eye of the leaf spring up into the spring perch approx. 3/4". I plated the sides of the spring perch with 1/8" flatbar.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the end result.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  5. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    The issue of brakes.....

Tommy(67lemanster) had just completed a C5 Corvette brake swap on his car and posted lots of pics. This idea seemed like a winner, I wanted rear disc brakes and Tommy made it seem really easy and inexpensive compared to buying a brake kit...so I leaped. Tommy found a set of C5 calipers listed in an auction on ebay...I bid and won. They were grey, so I bought a Duplicolor ceramic caliper paint kit and repainted the calipers red. Contacted Kore3 and purchased their brackets and mounted the C5 brakes on my rear axle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ordered a set of slip on C5 Corvette rotors from an ebay store, and found that I had to clarance my axle flanges just a little bit to clear this area inside the rotors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 10, 2006
    Harris, MN
    John looks real good. Its amazing how one little project turns into another

7. Robbo_BBC

Robbo_BBC Veteran Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2007
    London UK
    thats a serious looking axle youve got there! i like the gusstets youve put in from the spring perch to the axle.

sticking with a 350?

8. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Front C5 brakes and suspension....

Now that I had the rear back under the car, I jacked up the other end and started removing parts.

[​IMG]

Had to place the car high enough off the ground to have room for the lower control arm to swing all the way down to remove the coil spring.

A pile of parts that were removed....
    [​IMG]

After cleaning up the front spindle, I had to cut all of the stock brake mounting points off to make way for the C5 brackets.

[​IMG]

Now that the spindle has been cut and edges all ground down smooth(including all casting flash) I had to center punch and drill out the dust cover bolts. This is where the C5 brackets will mount. After drilling out the bolts, I open the holes up and tapped them 1/2" x 13. Now after painting, the spindle is ready to go back on the car.

Here are the brackets being layed out, drilled and painted for the C5 brakes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BlownBigBlock

BlownBigBlock Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 2, 2000
    Carlisle PA
    Nice lil documentary ya did on that. Came out looking great!!!

10. John Wright

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Front Hubs......

To use the C5 Corvette slip on rotors, you need hubs. I took a pair of brand new 3rd gen rotors ($30/ea) and machined the rotor off of the hub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.....purchased new bearings and seals for the front hubs and had them ready.

Next I drilled out all of the front hubs and rear axle flanges to accept ARP 1/2" x 3" long wheel studs.

Purchased SC&C upper control arms and Howe tall ball joints.....

The upper arms came with knurled adjusting sleeves, I welded a huge hex nut to make it so that I could use a wrench to turn the sleeves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turned my attention to the Lower control arms and cleaned them, painted and installed Delalum bushings....

[​IMG]