My 1979 Camaro Z28 Project!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Blu-By-U 79Z, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Sonic78formulaz28

Sonic78formulaz28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Auburn, Ia, usa
    Looks like your doin pretty good. Plan on changing out the exhaust manifolds with headers or anything?

2. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    not sure yet. 2 of the bolts on each one that connect to the exhaust broke off... so idk what to do yet. I do however plan on getting full exhaust including headers, x pipe, and flowmasters sometime this summer.

3. Blu-By-U 79Z

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Well yesturday i treated the surface rust spots on the body and in the engine bay. Because it had to sit for 24 hours. Do today i went out and decided to get the cowl pretty much finished. So i scuffed the old paint and sprayed some primer and then a nice coat or satin black rustoleum. Looks pretty good. So at least that is one part thats basically done. I still need to get the other small stuff on the cowl repainted. But its a slow process but its getting there. Ill post pics ASAP when i can get the other pc to upload them. -Matt

4. Blu-By-U 79Z

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Alright its Picture time!!!!!
    Alright well this is what i have been up to. On saturday i treated the surface rust on the cowl and inside of the cowl. It wasn't to bad but it takes 24 hours before u are able to do anything with it. So here are a few pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Blu-By-U 79Z

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    On sunday i treated the rust on the on the battery tray and on the core support. Then i decided to treat some of the surface rust on the body and around the rear window. So here is what it looked like. This stuff worked well and leaves a coating that helps seal the rust.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Blu-By-U 79Z

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Well today i finished my camaro model since i had down time from the 24 hours on the battery tray and core support. Then i primed the cowl and painted it with the satin black. Here is the last update i got for the night lol. More tomorrow. Yea the wheels are big.. i took them off a mustang model lol. Just like the deep dish look to them. Thats my new toy for the shows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the cowl:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Blu-By-U 79Z

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
  8. RockinZ

RockinZ Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Hey Matt, sorry about the silence there. Your project's coming along good! Nice replica as well!

Not sure if I would use a rust converter on the body. I did use it on my engine block because I didn't get it hot tanked. the paint is still there so I guess it worked. On the body I would remove all the rust down to bare metal. Something to consider before you get too far.

9. Blu-By-U 79Z

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Hey no big man.
    Just want people to see im not a bump on a log lol.
    As far as the rust treatment. Its temporary until i can strip the car down and redo it. Its my daily normally so i have to drive it but im in autobody at college and i plan to get to work on it this semester in auguest if i can. But i just wanted to slow it down until then. -Mat

10. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

Nov 30, 2003
    Fond Du Lac
    Looking good Nice job I see the color is like mine