My 1979 Camaro Z28 Project!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Blu-By-U 79Z, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Thanks man. I'm in love with them.

2. Blu-By-U 79Z

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    More info to come

Attached Files:

3. Blu-By-U 79Z

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    Alright so here is a small run down on the gauges.

Once you take out the stock gauges you have to figure out where to mount the control box. I chose to mount mine behind the gauges. Of coarse the duct work as removed. I cut a piece of stainless steel and used 2 self tappers to mount the plate to the steering column bracket.

IMG_8888.JPG

The smaller box on the left hand side is the BIM. Its used to add on extra functions. Mine is for the trans temp gauge.

Here is the pictures I used from the site on what wire did what.

IMG_8885.JPG
    IMG_8886.JPG

The directions for the fuel sending unit has a couple different ways to hook into the control box. I opted to run a twisted pair from the control box to the sending unit. I used 2 16 gauge wires. I used a power drill to twist the wires around each other. Once I ran the wire down behind the kick panel and down the drivers side of the car into the trunk. Once I got to the factory connector for the rear wire harness I cut the twisted pair and added in a pigtail.

IMG_8920.JPG

IMG_8935.JPG

I continued running the wires through the look of the tail light harness and drilled a small hole in the grommet the tail light harness runs through. I ran the twisted pair how the factory sending unit wire is ran. I cut and pulled the stock wire through the grommet in the tail panel. Drilled it out and ran my twisted pair through the original grommet. I then added a second pigtail so that the fuel tank may be disconnected and dropped. I connected the twisted pair to the tank. All of my connections were heat shrunk. I put wire loom over the exposed wires in the back.

The speedometer sensor was simple to run. I just ran the wire how the original cable was ran. I loomed the wires just for added protection. The trans temp sensor threaded into the transmission right around where the trans mission cooler lines thread in. I ran the wires up the dip stick and with the factory harness behind the dizzy. The water temp sensor and oil pressure were pretty simple too. I ran all 4 sensors through the firewall where the stock speedo cable comes through.

IMG_8921.JPG

The install wasnt too bad at all. Im still not getting signal from the tach wire. I think I need to run a dedicated wire instead of using the stock wire. I wonder if the inline electrical filter could be causing the control box to not pick up on the signal.

When you add extra functions like trans temp this is how it is shown on the cluster.
    IMG_8911.JPG

I will get some better pictures and update on what was causing my issue with the tach.

Another update is I picked up a set of 4th gen seats also!

IMG_8931.JPG

4. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Camaro Country,GA
    Looking real nice. The gauges are a very nice touch to your car.

5. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Nice , good call with the wire twist. A feral magnet on power feed is also a good idea to rule out any interference . I did same thing with a wideband gauge and it stopped it from bugging out sometimes.

6. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    I meant ferrite magnet. A choke for interference like on a computer cord

7. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Hamilton,MI
    What modification's do you need to make, to the seat mounts, to use those seats?

8. Blu-By-U 79Z

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    I'm still working on that lol. I'll update as I figure it out.

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That is looking really sharp!

Blu-By-U 79Z likes this.
  10. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Dixon, IL USA
    Nice work! That added function option is pretty cool.

Blu-By-U 79Z likes this.