My 1976 Camaro RS Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by ProjectCam76, Aug 10, 2015.

1. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    I would just swap in new front springs if it was me.Then enjoy it as is. Welcome from Montgomery!!

2. ProjectCam76

ProjectCam76 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    That's what I'm going to do. I'm currently researching Moog 5610 front springs and that's looking like a good possibility right now.

3. 2nd gen man

2nd gen man Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2010
    michigan
  4. ProjectCam76

Aug 10, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Update: I bought the Lares 974 steering box (Iroc-Z tight steering box) and had it installed. I drove it home and wow the steering is just like all my newer vehicles. My mechanic didn't have to change any lines or anything. Also, I had new Moog 5664 springs installed and fhey work much better than the saggy original springs. They're the same height but much stiffer and I don't scrub going around curves anymore but I'm still scrubbing when I hit bumps. So I'm going to look at the inner fender well and see if there is anything I can hammer out a little so my tires won't scrub on bumps.

I was hoping the Moog 5664 springs would still give it that lowered look. It certainly does and for a lot cheaper than the "lowering springs". Because of the money I saved on purchasing the Moog springs versus the "lowering springs" it helped me save money to put towards Koni red shocks that I had installed too.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  5. 79Zee28

79Zee28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northern, NJ
    What a nice car! A garage really extends the life of a car. It appears that your mother-in-law took really good care of the car. Paint looks good, panels appear straight and rust free and the interior looks great. Amazing considering that red fades more. Enjoy it.

6. ProjectCam76

Aug 10, 2015
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Here is an updated pic of my car that I photographed recently. BTW, I'm a professional photographer. These pics are with the updated front Moog 5664 springs. So this is how low it sits in the front with an original engine (iron heads) and it still has the original leaf springs which i'll have to change to get it lower in the rear. Also picture below is my friend's 1980 Trans Am with 455 cu in, th400, 2600 stall, 3.42 gears, Cal-Tracs, and runs 7.50 in 1/8 mile.

[​IMG]

This is a slightly different angled framed pic from the one above.
    [​IMG]

My car and my friend's 1980 Trans Am with 455 cu in, th400, 2600 stall, 3.42 gears, Cal-Tracs, and runs 7.50 in 1/8 mile.
    [​IMG]

My friend's 1980 Trans Am with 455 cu in, th400, 2600 stall, 3.42 gears, Cal-Tracs, and runs 7.50 in 1/8 mile.
    [​IMG]

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Nice clean Camaro.And it looked like it was weil taken car of as well.

8. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Do anything new to the car??

9. RetiredTop

RetiredTop New Member

Oct 13, 2017
    Absolutely love the wheels. Any issues with rubbing at all? Beautiful car!