My 1971 Camaro Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1971CamaroGuy, May 15, 2012.

1. Troy72Camaro

Troy72Camaro New Member

Feb 20, 2017
    Maine
    WOW. I would have to go back and say something. I try to do everything myself as I don't trust half of these so called certified mechanics. Maybe they have a Facebook page or website you can leave them a nice review on??? Lug nuts are another story I usually just bring my rims in and have them mount and balance then install myself at home or at least re-torque as soon as I get home.

2. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Yeah I think they may have a facebook page...I'm going to def look for some opportunities to rate them if I can

3. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    That is a horror story! Have a shop should be forbidden to some ...

4. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    So what did you decide, did you butt weld or do it like the factory? I am in the same boat

5. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Veteran Member

Apr 20, 2010
    in a beer can ....
  6. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Pembroke, GA
    Do you have any pics of when you welded the qtr to the roof prior to applying filler and doing bodywork showing this specific area?

7. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    I don't sorry, all I did was clean the area..and spot welded similar to factory..then seamed it together to close up the two joints for strength. Then applied a fiberglass stranded filler as the base and rough shape, then a skim coat of standard filler on top of that to finish. Should never crack in that area with the way I did it...no flexing.

8. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Haven't done much with the car in a while, got a wild hair and bought another engine to replace my high mile 5.3 that's in the car.

I went back and forth, and thought about getting a Ls3 crate engine, but I still would have needed to get a transmission and torque converter as the one that's in the car is from a 2004 V6 trail blazer and wouldn't have cut it.

In the end I cheaped out and got a 80,000 mile LS1 pull out from a 1999 Trans Am for $3400 shipped.

I don't need the harness or accessories on that motor so I can flip some of those parts to whittle my purchase price down some.

Should work nicely with my holley system as there is a file already for it based on that combo

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg

brooksman9 likes this.
  9. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Trying to figure out my plan of attack for my engine swap, I've never done it with all of the front end components on it before...I'm not sure if I can install the whole combo with just the hood removed, I'd have to come it and a sharp angle for the tranny tail shaft to clear...which I don't think is possible

I have several ways i could do this:

1. Pull the hood, core support, radiator, bumper, header, and valance...leaving the fenders intact at the rear

2. Pull the front cap as a unit

3. Pull the hood and leaving the cap in place, separate the engine and tranny...drop the engine from the front and come in underneath for the tranny...bolting the two pieces back up in the car

Open to any suggestions, I have the front end installed as close as I can gap wise. It was a nightmare to get all of that lined up. But I think since I have it shimmed like I want, I can just remove the shims and remember where they went.

I just don't want to create additional work for myself, having the cap off would make putting the engine in easier and I can re-paint the subframe ...but trying to put the engine in an already tight area would be tough too if I left the front cap in place

Trying to figure out the lesser of two evils

10. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    if you have the front clip done and gapped like you want it ..then I would drop the trans from under then pull the motor ..think for my self would be easier