My 1971 Camaro Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1971CamaroGuy, May 15, 2012.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    finished mounting my Holley 3.5" screen in the ashtray location

2017-03-09 16.36.10.jpg 2017-03-09 16.37.16.jpg

2. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Beautiful! Seems like it was born there :bowtie:

3. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I think you bought the leaf spring shackles I had on eBay :)

4. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Lol, I did.....I was trying to find something I could raise one side of my car up a little. My drivers side sits about 3/8"-1/2" lower than the passengers

5. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I am glad you can use them.

1971CamaroGuy likes this.
  6. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Thanks - yeah I think this will put my ride height more even from the tire to the lip on all four sides. These cars typically had a lean from what i am finding out.

7. Troy72Camaro

Troy72Camaro New Member

Feb 20, 2017
    Maine
    Weird you should say that as mine was leaning to the passenger side about 3/8" rear and 3/4" front. I put the new body mounts in and welded in my subframe connectors leveling the rear also the new Eibach lowering coils front and my rear is perfect but still lean on passengers front about 3/8" now. I am thinking of shimming the firewall body mount with an 1/8" shim to see if it gives me the 3/8" back. I'll let you know if it works. When I welded in the sub frame connectors I made sure my rear axle was level and it came out perfect in the rear. Can't wait for the snow to go so I can try out all these mods. Your holley screen looks great.

8. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Thanks! Yeah I am finding out a lot of GM vehicles had a lean...it just becomes more noticeable as they are lowered. I read a post on trans am country that a member said he had a spacer / shim in one of his coil springs that claimed was factory (he bought new). I am looking at coil overs, but that may be my winter project so i can drive the car a bit and enjoy it this summer.

9. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Started putting my new bilstein front shocks on and removed the drivers front shock. A little backstory on this....I carried my car to a alignment shop to get the alignment done end of last summer. I guess in my hastiness I didn't put the bolts in the drivers front shock? I'll own that if I did...it's possible.

The alignment shop told me that the shock had gotten damaged from the bolts being out of the bottom. Had to be my trip there because I haven't driven the car up to that point.

I told them to go ahead replace it, I finally got around to pulling the one they "installed" out and I kept thinking damn this thing is long and looks weird. Here it is against my bilstein fronts...can anyone spot whats off about it?

[​IMG]

It's a freaking rear shock they installed on the front....and a cheap one at that. Needless to say I won't be using them anymore. I had them bleed the brakes too and was missing a lug nut on the rear by the time I got back home.

I guess that explains some of the harshness I was getting from potholes and stuff...and it felt like it was coming from the drivers side. That thing had to be bottomed out with no compression.