Must-Have Tools

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Camaro414, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Camaro414

Camaro414 New Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Milwaukee, WI
    I am starting my restoration project soon. But before i do, I'd like your opinion on must have tools. I will restore my 81 Camaro from ground up completely. To start off with i have a MIG welder, 10 gallon Air compressor, basic tools, grinder.

2. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
  3. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
  4. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

Aug 28, 2013
    helena mt
    Depends on how deep of a resto you are doing. Floor jack, jack stands (muliple), basic gravity paint gun for your compresser, extra small parts (plugs wires bolts screws belts), timing light, castro purple bottle degreaser, paint tape, "rubber" gloves (for major chemicals and so you get finger prints on certain areas). Lots of shop rags and newspaper.

Ohhh and maverick there so when u mess up enough he can take it home and part it for ya :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  5. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Blythewood, SC
    Shop manual

Torque wrench

Impact wrench

Patience or alcohol or both

6. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
  7. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    6 or 12 ton Jack Stands, not 3 ton. I had them and I had a guy come by to buy some parts and the first things he said is "you are going to get crushed", get yourself some proper jack stands....

He was totally right. I got 4 of these and the difference is huge. I feel much safer under the car especially wrenching on stuck nuts and bolts.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/jack-stands/steel-jack-stands-61197.html

I also found one of these last week used for $800....sweet deal. Haven't set it up because the car has no wheels or suspension in it right now....Short of a full lift this thing rocks. I saw it set up before I bought it....

http://www.kwik-lift.com/

8. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    Air compressor... Your 10 gal is really on the very small size for a full resto. A lot of the work you will be doing is going to take tools that are real air hogs like cut off tool, paint gun, grinder (die and angle), DA sander, sand blaster, etc.
    If you run across a good deal on a 40-80 gal compressor jump on it. I recommend at least 10 cfm @ 90 psi, but the more the better.

Welder... You said you have a mig welder. Is that a true mig that uses shielding gas or is it a wire feed flux core gasless welder? If it's a flux core you need to get a gas mig welder at least 125 amp but more is also better.

You need air tools and welding gear to go along with the above. For air tools at least a 600 ft lbs 1/2" impact, die grinder, 3" cut off tool, 3/8" air ratchet, 6" dual action sander. For your welder you need an auto darkening helmet, it makes life a lot easier, welding gloves, etc

Power tools.. sawsall, 1/2" drill, 3/8" drill, 4.5" angle grinder with wire wheels, grinding wheels, and cut off wheels for it. Bench grinder would be another good one

Hyd. floor jack, 6-8 jack stands (not only are they good for holding car up but also holding other parts up like exhaust, doors, etc while fitting them and what not)

Torque wrench

Engine stand

Cherry picker/engine hoist/shop crane what ever you want to call it.

I really like having a cutting torch setup. Very useful for cutting thick steel, heating and bending metal, freeing up stuck bolts, etc.

9. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    Sand blast cabinet.

10. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Veteran Member

Apr 20, 2010
    in a beer can ....
    beer ( and plenty of it ) ...