Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals aka MCACN Chicago 2013

Discussion in 'Camaro Event Schedules & Locations' started by BASHTON, Feb 4, 2013.

1. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I'm back in Auburn,WA after attending the 2013 MCACN show on Friday afternoon and most of the day Saturday.

In it's 5th year it was a great show in terms of car variety and quality.

The NastyZ28 turnout of Camaros and spectators was the best ever.
    I cant begin to list all the people I shook hands with, hugged, and reacquainted myself with. Most notable was Eric Thompson (who doesn't post much but is very much known to a small group of us ORIGINAL restoration enthiusiasts) from the Kansas City,MO area. We have been talking on the phone and emailing for at least 10 years and had never met before Saturday. What a good time and good laugh that was to meet Eric.

Ron Liebert (wife Christy) did an excellent job of putting together the Nasty Z-28 display.
    Jim Eaton, Scott Kiehne (award winning 70' L-78) and 4 other beautiful Camaros were included. Mad Mike and Jim Stokeland with Banners and Nasty
    merchandise drove up from Dawsonville,GA. Mike even got JOEL ROSEN from Motion Performance to come over and walk through the club display.

Bernie Watson (with wife Debbie) from Colorado unveiled his freshly (Mike Slaughter) restored Gold 72' Z28. Gorgeous paint and a meticulous detailed restoration. Bernie received the 72' as a High School grad present and has owned the car ever since.

Rick Nelson brought (owned by Mark) the freshly restored Classic Copper 70' Z28 from his Muscle Car Restoration and Design shop in Pleasant Plains,IL
    Rick is a noted Chevelle LS6 Chevelle expert and this was his first 2nd Gen Camaro resto. The car is awesome and Rick's detailing is the BEST of the BEST. ALL the factory front suspension components that were left bare steel
    from the factory were restored in Bare steel (NO paint/only BoeShield as a
    rust inhibitor).

Rick Griffin from Indiana had his beautifully restored 72' Z-28 in the Z-28 showcase.

Kelly Payne (wife Lisa) trailered their outstanding Medium Orange 73' Z-28
    from Hendersonville, TN. Kelly and his friend Hu were right in the thick of things meeting and greeting everybody.

Bob Routt flew in (in the cockpit jump seat) and met up wit long time friend Dinograz

Cant forget my long time friend and fellow CAMARO Nationals Judge Mike Steitz who drove up Sat from O'Fallon,MO with five other members of the
    St Louis GATEWAY Camaro Club. Mike is easily one of the top 70-73 restoration enthusiasts anywhere.

Scott Settlemire from G.M. brought a 2014 all Black Z-28 which looked just bad azz. The from spoiler and rocker panel ground effects are quite distinctive as are
    the wheels. These factory (street legal) race cars are a sight to behold and I cant even imagine driving one. Unfortunately the price is out of reach for most of us.
    There was also a new ZL-1 Camaro, SS Camaro and one of the SEMA special trim 2014 Vettes. Scott is extremely personable and was taking pictures and telling stories
    with everyone about all things CAMARO and Chevrolet.

Forgot to include that author and member Phil Borris and his wife Vi were in the vendor area of the show with their excellent Norwood presentation
    and copies of Echos of Norwood book for sale.

As is the case with many annual shows (no matter the subject matter) it is
    the people and not the cars that make the experience worth the expense and effort.

There were so many more people from Nastyz28. It was so good that members ARE starting to use this great show venue as a winter
    gathering place. I hope Mike M and NAstyZ28.com can continue to have an ongoing presence at this show.
    The MCACN deserves everyone's support ($$) and hopefully will continue to give this website the opportunity to come together.

As promised and delivered, the greatest all around classic American muscle car show in the world.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. Jim Stokkeland

Jim Stokkeland Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I just read your review of the show to Mike, as we head back to Georgia. I must echo Mike's sentiments...excellent reveiew Chuck. Superb show, beautiful cars and great people. Already looking forward to next year!

3. iraqivet

iraqivet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Hobart, Indiana
    Mcacn

After attending the MCACN Saturday, all I can really say is WOW! The Nasty display was incredible. Forgive me for not remembering who was there and what car they brought. everyone in the Nasty display area were warm and receptive when I met them. I could tell the Nasty Z family is a genuine group who has fun while sharing a common theme, Camaros.

In the Z-28 corral, Doug from Ohio had his '79 there and allowed me to take some pictures from all angles as well as taking a lot of pictures of the members cars.

I learned a lot as well. When they said they wanted to display show cars, they got show cars. I quickly learned that if your ride isn't pristine, it isn't going to be a show Z-28. All the Z-28s there were pictures of perfection. I realized that I do not have the talent, craftsmanship, knowledge, or experience to build a car that would be considered show quality.

I also learned that wanting to return your ride to "just off the factory line" is an area where knowledge, attention to details, and able to locate the OEM parts is a must to enter your car for that category. The correct tape on fuel line and brake lines, hose clamps, spark plug wires with correct date code, and other details that are needed to complete such a restoration. So much for wanting to return my '79 Z-28 to factory line specifics. With that said, once I do the repairs to the '79, (springs, shocks, etc.), it will be put up for sale. Locating parts to back date it to '79 is too cost prohibited to make that move. Maybe the next owner can.

I would love to have the talent that those who have show cars are capable of doing. Knowing my '80 will never match or come close to the cars I saw first hand, my dream of building such a car is now a reality check. It's not going to happen. Unfortunately funding and lack of talent to finish such a project has lead me to decide to just get the '80 running and sell her also.

I appreciate all the help and answers members of Nasty Z28 have provided. Dreams are just dreams, and you have to accept reality. Fair winds and following seas to all. It was a pleasure to meet you and share a common ground. But I have come to realize that this is not going to work out for me.

4. stafs05

stafs05 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 26, 2007
    chicago,IL
    Chris I 'm sorry about not getting to catch up with you, and talk to you about a new project that you might have. If you need anything just get a hold of me.

5. stafs05

stafs05 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 26, 2007
    chicago,IL
    next time Keith. I will be calling you

6. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Crestwood IL.
    Awesome weekend, awesome show, awesome cars. Also awesome to met all the great people from the forum, including the man himself..............MadMike.
    Then the icing on the cake, my Camaro is one of the cars in my class that received a gold trophy :cool: :bowtie:

[​IMG]

7. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

An incredible show and an incredible turnout by NastyZ members! I'll just let the pics do the talking...:cool:
    I'm pretty sure I got a shot of every 2nd gen in the building - forgive me if I don't remember your name or meet you at the show.

I finally met MadMike and Jim Stokeland! Couple of hoots those two are. Let's see, also met l16pilot, Dino, BobR, tskills, Iraqivet, CamarosRUs, 70COPO, ronzz572, 70SS/L78 and even chatted with Charley (clill)! Forgot some others I'm sure...

Four of six cars that were being judged in the Nasty display all earned Gold and I'm quite sure the other Nasty members throughout the show also earned gold - WOW!:eek: :cool:

Guy (Olstyle) and his wife; Great people!!
    [​IMG]

Jim (fvdillon) and his wife Jeanine (sp). Great People!!
    You'll have to ask him why she's got the battery jumper! lol:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brian (78Cam) and his wife Julie. Great people!!
    I'd say Brian's car was one of the top ten cleanest ones in the building!
    Julie goes above and beyond cleaning that thing with cotton swabs and isn't afraid to let the judge know it either! lol You Go Girl!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Myself and wife Trisha.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MadMike even introduced us to Joel Rosen - You know, Mr. Motion!!:cool:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  8. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

On with the show!!
    [​IMG]

The Last Nickey.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Guys car getting judged. BobR in the hat in the left background.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]