Muncie gear oil ?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by BigBlock73, Jun 27, 2011.

1. zachary8

zachary8 Veteran Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois
    I know this is an old thread but I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents. Since completing a 15-year nut and bolt restoration on my Z I've put about 1100 miles on it. Every drive train component on the car was rebuilt. Generally, the car drives very well but the shifts are "notchy". I wouldn't even dream of power shifting it due to a total lack of smoothness shifting the Muncie. At first, I thought maybe the synchros weren't right but after doing a little reading (including this thread) I just ordered 2 quarts of ACDelco Manual Trans Fluid 10-4070 75W-90 GL-4. I will post again after I change the fluid and let you guys know what change there is (if any).

2. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Not being funny, but did you rebuild the Muncie? Did you put heavier synchronizing hubs in it? Makes a world of difference. Ask Jody.

3. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    image.jpg I was told to use this when I got my munci that has just ben rebuilt. Quart and a half.

4. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    If the neutral gate is not set properly the shifts can feel "notchy", try resetting the neutral gate again.

zachary8 likes this.
  5. zachary8

zachary8 Veteran Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois
    My answer is I don't know. The trans was rebuilt by a reputable local trans shop about 10 years ago and then put on a shelf for 10 years until it was installed.

6. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Talk to Jody about it...

7. Misfire

Misfire Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Doraville
    All I know is if gonna hoss em, gonna pop em,, Ive popped a few pushing a blown 427,,, any kind of driveline slack is more of an enemy than wrong oil,,, I have had really good luck past 5 years running lucas tracktor trailer transmission oil,, The thickest they make, If I remember its a 140/90? When you have enuff power, you don't have to do all that fancy speed shifting and such.

8. zachary8

zachary8 Veteran Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Chicago, Illinois
    My car has a 383 stroker that's probably got about 400-425 horsepower. It's more motor than I ever had in any Camaro I've ever owned before. None of my other Muncies were ever rebuilt and I would beat on my cars relentlessly (They were my daily drivers) when I was a kid. Lost a couple of clutches but never blew a transmission. This is only the second year since I finished the restoration and I drive my Z as much as I can, which, unfortunately, only about 5000 miles a year. If the trans blows it blows - It is what it is now and I'll have to take my chances. I'll keep everybody informed about the gear fluid change and how it shifts.