MSD setup

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Mwilson, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

I have never owned one, I bought the pro billet distributor and the 6 plus ignition box. Looks like a bunch of wires! I want to set it up for 3,000 on the transbrake, and pull out 4 deg when I activate the nitrous. I also want to lock the distributor at 36 deg +/- and have it set to retard on start. Hopefully its not too complicated.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Just read the instructions, easy to do. Too bad they quit making the Mallory box, it has 2 retards plus start, and a window switch for nitrous.

3. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Yes all that information is available from MSD in written form and online via their website. You can phone call their technical assistance and they will assist you in locating the information if you cannot find it.

4. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

Window switch would be nice

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 7-2 box is a complete waste of money.
    If you don't want to go all the way to a grid or digital 7 that would never be my choice.
    If you're going to go non digital, go 7-3 it is much much better and has every feature you will ever need.
    I've ran both, the 7-2 was fine 20-25 years ago, not now unless free.

If you already have the 6520, than you will be fine. Not as many features, but you aren't running anything that wild.

Don't go too wild on the starter, try 5, 10 would be the max I would use.
    You might not even need it with lower compression.
    You definitely don't want to be knocking the teeth off the flexplate :(

Make damn sure you run the N2O through a brake relay.
    A lot is going on in there on the launch when you start using N2O, it's a great safety feature!!!!

Good luck, have fun & race safe!!!

7. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

I will have the nitrous tied into the brake. I have never hit nitrous out of the hole always waited til a car length out.

8. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

Mine doesn’t say 6al. Says 6 plus digital

9. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Like I said, just as an added safety, even for guys spraying high gear only.
    A lot is going on at the launch, and I can't even count how many times guys got a little nervous after putting it to the wood and then accidentally hitting the N2O button on the converter.
    That way there is no chance of you hitting the gas, brake & N2O engaging.

10. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member