MSD or Mallory??

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by NYH1, Nov 6, 2010.

1. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Central New Yorkistan
    I'm going to upgrade my ignition system over the winter. I want to get a new distributor that works directly with a CD box. The only extra I'm looking for is a built in rev limiter. I don't need anything else. I'm also going to use the same brand parts. If I buy a distributor, I'm going to use the same company's CD box. More then likely I'll use the same company's coil too. I was pretty much all set and going to buy an MSD Distributor and 6AL Box. However I just happen to look at Mallory's web site and they have similar products and are priced close to MSD's parts, within $6 of one another. I've used MSD products before, I've never used Mallory's products, however I have heard really good things about Mallory.

So from the parts I have listed below which brand would you recommend and why? Don't recommend a brand simple because you have it. I want to know WHY you recommend and/or bought that brand. What do you like better about the brand you recommend? Give me some pro's and con's if you have any.

Here are the MSD parts Distributor and Ignition Box.

Here are the Mallory parts Distributor and Ignition Box.

Thanks, NYH1!

2. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
  3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i've run mallory ignition components since the mid 70's and really like their products and wouldn't run any other type of distributor or ignition box

this is a very nice fully digital ignition box with alot of options for the price it is offered at

[​IMG]

some of the cool features are (2) rev limiters

high speed timing retard

start retard

(2) rpm activated window switches

tach test

boost timing retard

map sensor select

4. LeKid

LeKid Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have ran the Mallory HiFire VI as well. Awesome product, great for Nitrous. I use te 2-step to it te suspension on nitrous, use te window switch to make sure that the nitrous does not activate lower than a proper rpm and that it disengages 200rpm before the rev limiter. Alos use the timing retard option for the nitrous in conjunction with my nitrous controller. You cannot get a better box for the price!!! Same box for the last 9 years, no issues.

I run an MSD Pro Billet distributor and never had any problems between the MSD and Mallory stuff working together.

Oh, and I forgot ....... GET THE MALLORY BOX!!!!

5. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Central New Yorkistan
    Glad to hear good things about Mallory CD boxes. Everyone I know uses MSD CD boxes and I used a 6A box about 15 years ago. I'm looking at the 6853M not the 685. I don't need the added features the 685 has so there is no reason to spend the extra money. Anyone use the 6853M ignition box?

6. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    I have the 6853m Mallory---haven't run it yet,but looking forward to it.

[​IMG]

7. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Central New Yorkistan
    frankz, let me know how you like it. I'm on the fence with which one to use. And to make matters worse, I have all winter to think about it. :bowtie:

8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the 685 box is very nice .....not sure why you're not wanting it ??? , it does have (2) built in rev limiters and has start retard so you can save your starter from kick back

9. gingerbreadman

gingerbreadman Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2009
    gold coast , australia
    Only reason im saying msd is i am yet to hear anyone say theirs broke including mine. i have not heard anyone say their mallory broke either but i dont know many people with them.

10. z28smokin

z28smokin Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    I have had problems with my Hyfire boxes. After 2 I decided to switch to MSD. I still have my comp 9000 distributor and coil that are awesome. I would go with MSD, but I will say that Mallory honored their warantee. I just got irritated that last time it broke.