Motor / trans mounts - rubber or poly?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Skaal-tel 79, Mar 15, 2007.

1. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    I started with Poly everything. As I have gone about the business of tweaking to fine tune the ride and handling, I have slowly replaced all poly parts with either Delrin or OEM rubber depending on what I am using it for. Mostly Delrin in suspension pivot points and rubber in non-rotating bushings like engine and trans mounts. I still have some poly in the sway bars and don't see any issues there.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Just remember that these are street cars.And with our "wonderful "roads out there ( along with driveways ,etc) . we need something with some "give" to it. Especially with transmissions with aluminum tail housings. Let solid mounts stay where they belong.on the race track.Poly urethane are a little better but not by much. I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro Pro-touring car with a 500 HP small block Chevy with a Super T-10 four speed. I have stock rubber mounts of which I am willing to live with.

3. RMTZ28

RMTZ28 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Alb. nm
    undercarriage.jpg Every mount that is rubber on my car is poly (red). body,leaf,trans,motor,A frame,etc. even shock and radiator mounts are red poly.No problems. Takes the turns like nobody's business.

4. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I put a poly trans mount in a 84 Z28 about 5 years ago and now it is all cracked to pieces. The pretty red ain't so pretty when it's cracked and falling apart. They seem to work good on sway bars though.