Motor Install Questions

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by wdstamper, Jan 13, 2018.

1. wdstamper

wdstamper Veteran Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    Getting ready for my create motor install for my 1981 z28 and have a few questions for the group:

1) I have my fender wells out and I was wondering if I should wait to put them back in until after I install the motor? I'm thinking it might be easier access around the motor until its bolted down.

2) The motor mounts with new bushings are loosely bolted in. I would like to tighten them down now because they are so hard to get to. I can only imagine its going to be much harder once I drop the motor in. However, I have read threads where its best to leave them loose until you get the motor mount bolts through (may need to wiggle them)?

3) My plan is to drop the motor in with the tranny mounted which I have never done. I'm also planning to drop them in with the car up on my ramps so I can get under the car to make sure the back of the tranny does the scrap the ground and I can adjust my cross member. I have a load leveler for my hoist so I'm thinking I can angle it and be okay. Any tips here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Walt

2. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Los Angeles, Ca
    motor install.jpg I'd tighten the mounts, put the wheel wells in. Then put the rear of car on jack stands and the front on a couple pieces of plywood so the lift doesn't hit the lower control arms, but that depends how low the car sits. see photo

80sz likes this.
  3. wdstamper

wdstamper Veteran Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    Thanks 73Z. Never thought about lifting the rear of the car. Should make room for the tranny to slide in easier attached to the motor. I assume you installed your motor and tranny this way? Still a little nervous about tightening the motor mounts down. Thanks. Walt

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Tighten the motor mounts but be sure you have correct ones!

You may get two choices at many auto parts stores... Only one of them fits.

[​IMG]

5. wdstamper

wdstamper Veteran Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    Thanks Twisted Metal. I re-used the factory mounts which have four holes. I just replaced the rubber inserts. I should be good to go.

So you guys are sure I can go ahead and tighten down the motor mounts?

Thanks

Walt

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    The hoist with a load leveler is a good idea....
    upload_2018-1-13_13-36-5.png
    Those things are heavy!!!! ;)

You have to attack it from the side because your standard engine hoist won't reach from straight on in the front of these cars.
    I put the front corner on a jack stand and removed the wheel to get the room for the hoist wheels/frame.

7. rawb

rawb New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Providence Village Tx
    When I put my motor and tranny in I put a furniture dolly under the tranny when it was close to the floor to help guide into place. It worked very well.

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Good idea. :)

I've used a floor jack before, take the handle off and use a short piece of pipe to adjust height. I now have a HF transmission jack, works pretty good for that purpose.

LOL at Terry, you should have taken the dip stick out, would have been easier to carry. :eek:

9. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2011
    ontario
    I have used a mechanics creeper with wood blocks under tail shaft to "help" roll the trans back towards the cross member while wrestling the engine into place. These experiences were with the big heavy rat motors and th400 trans ...

10. wdstamper

wdstamper Veteran Member

May 17, 2014
    Florida
    One more question. Is okay to install the transmission lines on the tranny or should I wait until the motor is bolted in? It would be easier with motor out but I'm worried about bending them with lowering the motor in. Thanks again!
    Walt