Motor Identification?!

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by MulletMachineZ28, Aug 1, 2017.

1. MulletMachineZ28

MulletMachineZ28 New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out what I've got here. From what I can decipher it's a 1969-1979 350 block with 1969-1970 small chamber (76cc) 441 heads. That's really all I need to know for the parts buying, but I'm curious because there's some anomalies in the numbers when I try to decode further.

The block casting code (rear, drivers side) is 970010. Yes, I figure there's supposed to be a "3" in front too, but there isn't...

The ID code (front, passenger side) is K0208T4X, with C91165810 under it. Yes, I'm sure the suffix is "T4X", and yes, I know the 4 isn't supposed to be there...

Random other cast markings are a "K" and a "2" on the drivers side at the back on the flange where the bell housing attaches and "350" in the same place on the passenger side. On the back of the block (covered by the transmission, below the three freeze plugs on the passenger side) is "778" with "010" under it. There's also a picture below of the foundry codes on the passenger side.

Just for reference the heads are 3932441, but I have no idea if they were originally with the engine or not (same era, so possibly), and I haven't had the oil pan off so I don't know if it's a 2 or 4 bolt. It's got a decent cam, roller rockers, etc., so I hope it's a 4 cause it moves pretty good. The guy I got it from thought it was a corvette motor but I took that statement with a grain of salt.

Anyone have any ideas on what this thing came from? The only info I can find on the suffix is other people asking what the hell they have too, so I'm not the only one with a "T4X". I'm leaning maybe this is a replacement motor based on the cast ID being 970010 and not 3970010 like it should be, the "350" cast into the bell housing flange on the passenger side, and the weird suffix?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    T4X indicates it is a truck engine. I don't find that code listed anywhere, but no list I've found is complete. The other number starting with C indicates that is is most likely from a production truck built at Lansing, MI.
    I would guess that the 970010 is simply a casting flaw and nothing to concern yourself with.

3. MulletMachineZ28

MulletMachineZ28 New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Thanks. Doesn't the "K" in K0208T4X signify St. Catherine's Ontario?

4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    that is the motor assembly plant stamp , not the car assembly plant stamp , but yes it does according to what i read ...

5. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I don't think they started casting "350" on the blocks until late 80's or 90's.

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    The block drain make me think of a boat motor. We had them on a 283 in an old 57 Owens. One on each side. Drain for winter storage.