mother power ball any body use one?

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by tims78camaro, Dec 15, 2009.

1. speedfreak1000

speedfreak1000 Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Springfield, kentucky
    sweet, im gonna try that this weekend.

2. onebad71

onebad71 Veteran Member

May 15, 2010
    georgia
    i made a powerball type polisher.. i took and old 1/2 inch wood auger bit cut the sharp tip off and left the top so it was a smooth rod. i picked up abou 10 foam balls from a crafts store. they cost about 75 cents a piece. then i cut a slit on the ball sprayed 3m glue on the shaft and stuck it into the ball and it will stick it self into it. it worked great for me and when the ball gets dirty i just stick it in a vise pull it off and hit the bit with a torch and melt the excess off. and repeat ill have to do a thread with pics on a how to. but be pacient it will be awhile before im able to..

3. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    The powerball works well on relatively flat areas but not in the corners. I use the cone they have for doing the corners. FYI you are not suppose to let the polish dry, you're suppose to wipe it away while it is still moist according to Mothers, then buff the residue with a soft cloth. I am going to try the corn starch, I haven't tried it but I am curious about the results.

4. masparks

masparks Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Gas, Kansas
    Joshua used one once.When I went to use it,it fell all apart.Made a big mess!

5. delete-Z

delete-Z Veteran Member

Nov 27, 2009
    Crawfordsville,Indiana
    I have used the ball on my welds & worked really well making the water spots come out & bringing out the shine in my wheels that I haven't seen in a long time. How does the corn starch work ? any side effects? damage?

6. I use the big ball (Mother's) on my older paints with no ill effects. It's quick and easy, for my spring/fall waxes just for protection purposes. I still use carnuba by hand if I'm taking one to a show or something.

I will say that the ball with a cleaner wax can be 'sorta' like buffing. I've actually brought back some dull paint with it, so you can assume it's generating more heat/pressure than you would with with your hand. This is a good thing on older paint, but my newer, nice paint still get only the hand treatment.

You also have to watch your drill speed, it doesn't take much rpm's on paint that already looks ok. Sure is faster though.. :happy: