More gremlins! Falls on face at the hit

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Blown Camaro, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro Veteran Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    Track prep was PERFECT.

SBC 6-71 with 2 demon carbs, 295/65/15 ET Drag radials, 4200 stall FTI 9" converter.

Footbraked to 2500 and matted it. Car dead hooked and hiked the front then shut off. Front came down I wacked the throttle two more times and engine restarted and continued. Short shifted and finished run with no misfire and did not lay over. It completely ran out of fuel as soon as the front end came up. My buddy at BLP was there and said he has seen it before on sideways mounted carbs. He is sending my 4 sidecut floats to fix the problem.

I am posting this in hope I can help someone else. Car never does this on the street because it spins a little. But it DOES try to shut off on sharp turns sometimes. G-force does some weird stuff to fuel systems.

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Maybe the float setting too low and the jets get uncovered as the fuel sloshes away from them?

3. Blown Camaro

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    No, I have sight glasses I can see inside car. What happens is the car hooks, front rises, fuel DOES slosh towards rear - then it lifts the rearward edge of the float and closes the needle and seat. Car completely drains bowls and front end comes down. Fuel is still in the accelerator pump circuit so stabbing gas a couple times refires car and fuel pump refills bowls.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    You should set up a Camera to show us. That would be cool to watch. I have never actually raced at a track or had a vehicle that could lift the front end. I would think that you would not have the time to watch something like that. Maybe it is like a slow motion thing like your life passing you before your eyes... LOL

5. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I run dual dominators mounted sideways, and I launch very very hard, and never have this issue.
    What I do is run the fuel high, and connect the vents with a vacuum line.
    I don't know what style floats I run, to be honest, I rarely open the bowls.
    I don't do jets, I do the chutes, computer down load, & N2O tuning, my crew chief does jets, plug reading and fuel.

I hope the new parts help, if not, consider extending the vents and raising the fuel above the sight glass a little???

Good luck, race safe.

Blown Camaro likes this.
  6. Blown Camaro

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    Aha! I have them middle of the sight glass because I street drive the car and didn't want flooding. I have had people slam on their brakes in front of me and the car wants to shut off. I can try raising the float levels and see what happens. I will tell you I got my data downloaded and the car went to 14.2AFR at 7psi boost at the hit! After it recovered it was 11.5 the rest of the way so not a jetting problem.

7. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's a cheap test, and worked great for me, I launch so hard it can force the fuel out and spray the window without the extensions.

[​IMG]dual WOT by J L, on Flickr

Blown Camaro likes this.