Modifying an old harbor freight engine hoist, suggestions for castors?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Feb 1, 2018.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    I have a old 2 ton Harbor freight engine hoist I bought 15 years ago and In anticipation of my engine swap I added another 18" on the arm length and will be adding some length to the legs to prevent tip over.

Found out how wobbly it is just moving the engine / tranny around after doing that lol.

I added the length so I can come in from the front and not hit the bumper, I am going to make an attempt to put the motor and tranny in as one piece and wanted plenty of working room.

I am looking at this double piston ram to replace the old HF single piston. Supposed to be quicker on the lift because the ram moves up on the up and down of the lever action.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331673599681

Now I am thinking about casters...it has the steel casters on them and they are old and rusty. I was wondering if there was a rubber caster out there that would work and support the load?

I'm doing this on a semi-rough driveway that has some cracks in it and I don't want to hang trying to position this in the engine bay.

Ideas?

2018-01-20 16.07.17.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  2. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I have the same lift in one of the shops. Went to Harbor Freight and bought the same diameter caster but with rubber wheels, made a HUGE difference in how it rolls. Had to drill a few extra holes since they didnt line up with the stock ones but it didnt take long. Make it roll very smooth and easy, unlike the the rough azz steel wheels 20180201_091523.jpg

3. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    cool, I may run by on my lunch break today and see what they have

4. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Veteran Member

Try putting the front legs under your car before you do anything. My legs hit the spoiler and I had to put 2X6s under the tires to get the lift under the car. That created height problems getting the engine/trans out.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have the same HF hoist. It needs no modifications. I simply remove the entire front end and core support. It’s nice to pull the engine straight back then hang it over the fenders. I also put boards under the front tires so the legs clear the lower control arms

Attached Files:

PalmbchZ28 likes this.
  6. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Put it in from the side. Easy peasy.

7. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    I was trying to avoid pulling the front clip or header / core support and was going to try and come in with all that on.

If you trying to do it the way I am trying to do it def needs modifications as it's too short to reach. I don't want to mark up my bumper or header panel.

Pulling the front header and core support isn't completely off the table though, still thinking about it

8. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Yeah, mine hits the rs nose. Hate that. I didn't think about adding length to the arms and legs. Wonder if the jack will still lift all of that weight if it's further out?
    I have to push pretty hard on the jack handle as it is now.

edit: I bent one of the steel wheels when I was wrestling an engine in a buddy's car out in a gravel driveway, so my casters could use replacing too.

9. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    It def get's hard to lift when it's further out, I ordered the double piston ram yesterday so i am hoping it makes a little difference. You would def have to add some extensions on the legs or it will tip

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Your car looks too nice...Its time consuming to take the header panel and stuff off, but it makes putting the engine in so much easier and less chance of damaging anything. Its too easy for the hoist body to hit the nose and the engine scraping something. I feel very uncomfortable how high you need to lift the engine to make it over the fenders and or nose.