Modify stock wheels?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 70.5 z28, Mar 5, 2017.

1. 70.5 z28

70.5 z28 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2000
    buffalo ny
    Has anyone modified a stock 5 spoke wheel and had it widened to like 8.5''? Can this even be done? If so, who does it?

2. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    I know a guy that has a pair of late 60's early 70's Corvette wheels widened to 10 inches. You need a good welder that can weld them air tight.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    It can be done, but the 5 spoke Z28 wheel will look strange if it is done. Either you have to add the extra width to the inside of the wheel which could cause clearance problems or if you add it to the outside, the trim ring will no longer cover the wheel properly.

4. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    I had a set of Z28 steel rims widened to 9 and a bit.

we had to carefully cut the factory welds and separate the centres from the hoops, then widen both the centres and hoops before putting them back together.

Guy that did most of the work widens and modifys a lot of steel rims for customers and said he'd never do those rims again :)

Oh and getting the welds airtight isn't tricky bit it's keeping everything true and balanced

Flick me a message if you want me to email you some pics

5. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    15x8 rears with chrome hoop to mimic trim ring for drag racing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15x5 for the fronts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Killer Wolf

Killer Wolf New Member

Feb 20, 2017
    I bought a set of 15x8 Z28 wheels a few years ago off craigslist. The guy I bought them from said they were modified from stock wheels back in the 80's. They had the center part removed and welded into a 8" hoop. 4.5" backspacing I believe. They still use the factory trim ring as well. I kept a pair and sold the other pair. I may have pics, I'll post them if I find them.

7. MLMski

MLMski New Member

Mar 8, 2013
    New Iberia, LA
  8. joselk1

joselk1 Veteran Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Waterford, MI
    There is a place in Livonia Michigan that specializes in widening wheels called Weldcraft....they will widen to the outside, inside, or move the center to acccomidate offset. I called them a couple of years ago about modifying my 5 spoke wheels and they said it would be about 250 per wheel. I don’t remember if that was the starting price or to make them 15x9 with 5.25 offset which is what I would want. I decided it was too costly but I’m rethinking it again due to this post. This site continually costs me money.

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com/what-we-do/widen/

Gary

9. NeoNeuro

NeoNeuro Veteran Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    LMAO. Ain't that the TRUTH!