Missing Frame to Crossmember Brace?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Green P1, Dec 12, 2017.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have yet to own a camaro that the braces were there. They are commonly removed

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Thanks for the pic. I does not show that short one. Mine does not have those either.

3. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Apr 16, 2004
    Gaithersburg, MD
    My 81 has them. Mine is not a Z28, so I think they're installed on all models. No headers, I am keeping mine stock

RickM

4. Jeffsz28

Jeffsz28 Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Cocoa, Florida
    Yes, i am digging up an old thread.:brightide
    I have an 81 Z and the p o had a Chevy dealership install a ZZ4 along with Hooker headers in 2000.
    I need to remove the headers for coating and ill be damned if the dealership didn’t weasel the drivers side subframe brace in between header tubes. So i need to take the brace off, but how in the hell do i get any kind of wrench or socket into the frame to hold the bolt? Honestly, I’d rather not hack off the brace because someone went through the trouble of putting it back with headers... Help:(

5. NotUniqueEnough

NotUniqueEnough Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Lost
    My 80 had them, removed for headers also.. I think they are still in my spare parts box in my MIL's basement

6. Jeffsz28

Jeffsz28 Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Cocoa, Florida
    How did you remove them? Actually, I only need to remove the drivers side brace. But how? Of the three mounting points only one is accessible. The other two mounting points the nut/bolt is inside the subframe rail. The mounting point near the front cross member has an access hole whete the lower control arms bushing slides in but its still near impossible to get a wrench in their. The other mounting point,mthe frame has a oval shaped hole but a (9/16) socket is too wide to fit into the hole.
    Im stumped here, and I desperately need to remove that brace.
    HELP!

7. NotUniqueEnough

NotUniqueEnough Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Lost
    If I remember correctly.. and I may not... its been about 10 years... I took an old box end wrench and customized it for this purpose... but I vaguely remember grinding a bolt head off for some reason..

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I think I found an air chisel to be quite helpful. It's been many years ago for me also.

9. Rick Merrick

Rick Merrick New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Hey Everyone. I removed mine so long ago I do not remember but I thought one or two on the nuts were welded on the frame side, I could be mistaken though. Also, I was recently going through some boxes and guess what I found? the missing bracket that I removed years ago. I to will probably be using headers and from what everyone is saying I will not be using these brackets. Later Rick.

10. Jeffsz28

Jeffsz28 Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Cocoa, Florida
    I had several Z28’s in my 20’s and I remember having to remove the brace for headers but 30 yrs later i simply cannot remember how i did it.
    The two mounting points that I cannot access, one has the nut on the inside of the frame the other is the opposite. Neither are tack welded into place, when i tried loosening them the whole nut/bolt just kept spinning. I may have have to do as NotUniqueEnough and modify a box wrench? But that would only help with one bolt, the other one theirs no way to get a socket in the hole. Im stumped. I must be missing something, surely it can’t be THAT difficult. Someone at the dealership managed to take it off and put it back on...