Missing Frame to Crossmember Brace?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Green P1, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Green P1

Green P1 New Member

May 24, 2016
    Denton, TX
    Pulled my cracked 305 and as I’m getting things cleaned up and ready to drop my crate 350 in I noticed a brace on the drivers side that connects two points of the subframe to the crossmember. The holes are there on the passenger side for its equal to be installed but it’s mowhere to be seen. Common sense tells me the same guy that pulled the brace off the passenger side above the battery probably pulled this one off when he changed the starter... but a quick google search has not provided me with a part name or even photo evidence that one was ever there. I’ll upload a photo of said brace as soon as I figure out what’s wrong with my photobucket account but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    What year model? My 79 Z-28 had an extra brace that was in the way when I installed headers, I took it out. It's apparently a Z-28 or a suspension option as others do not have it. A little modification with a sawzall took care of the passenger side.

3. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    budro6968 likes this.
  4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Nobody shows a diagram for the engine clam mounts. That would be helpful. I think I have an issue with mine B/C the car came with 2 drive shafts. One is too long and the other goes in but not far enough. At least it is able to move the car but it needs to be in more. The P.O. cut a notch out of the D/S clam shell? I don't understand for what purpose. Nothing is in the way. Has log type exhaust but will put headers on later. I bought one of the sub frame braces for the pass side off this site from someone. Can't remember who. P.O. Cut up the one that was on there. Again why? Nothing in the way there either.

5. Rick Merrick

Rick Merrick New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    I just started working on my 81 and I am missing the right side as well. I remember taken it of a while ago but cannot find. I have a sub-frame exploded view that I will try and attach to this reply. I have been calling and emailing everywhere on the east coast and have not found one. I found a place called Camaro Heaven on the web and it is located in Tilton NH. When the nice weather gets here I will probably take a ride up there. Hope file attached helps. Rick.

Attached Files:

budro6968 likes this.
  6. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I had both of those braces on my 78 & removed both because their in the way if your installing headers.

7. Rick Merrick

Rick Merrick New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    good point, I was thinking of going with headers once I get to the exhaust. Maybe I wont look as hard now. thanks Rick.

8. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    I had to remove them on my 80z also ...Hedman headers hit them could not modify in any way to get it reattached

9. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Don't have any on my 79...Also have headers.