Minimum CCA to start

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by camaro71/holland, Nov 10, 2017.

1. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Looking to save as much weight as possible, including the battery.
    So I'm wondering how much CCA a battery will need to start, let's say, a 383 with 11:1 SCR?

2. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How much difference in weight between a 500-750-950???
    I never skimp on the battery, and I have spent $1000 of dollars to save weight.

3. camaro71/holland

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    My yellow top was 21kg ~ 45lbs @ 750 cca.
    Looking for example at an Oddessey PC1100 for example with 500 cca and 12.5 kg ~ 27 lbs.

4. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    Oddessey will give a big blast for 5 sec when you hit the key. I tried a 1200pc from my boat in my car with a 383 10.6-1 engine and it started it with no problem. Just didn't want to spend 200+ bucks for a batt. Got a 850 cca sealed batt from napa. Group 24. Less than 100 bucks. Big cables are more important than a big battery imo.

5. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    I have a Yellow Top Group51 (500 CCA, 26 lb) in the trunk, and it rolls my mild 350 with no problems. However, I also have a gear reduction starter, which reduces current draw.

Blown Camaro likes this.
  6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    There are a lot of factors. Temperature of the engine is the biggest one. A very cold engine or a very hot engine needs more power to turn it to start. There is no formula that really works.
    I have been successful turning high compression engines for easy starts with a 385 ca battery when the temperatures were warm. Then when the temperature drops, the ca number gets replaced with the cca number and a small battery like that can't do the job.

7. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Philly area
    My experience is that with a full sized (non-gear reduction) starter, 500 is about the absolute lowest you want to go unless this is some pampered trailer queen where you always have a jump box nearby anyway.

If you have a gear reduction mini-starter they draw WAY less current. Never tried to "size down" with one of them until I found the basement, but 500 is more than enough under almost all conditions.

"Deep cycle" (marine) batteries SUCK in high-draw starting conditions, FYI. Not what they're built for.

Like was said, above, there's a lot that goes into this. Compression ratio actually has only moderate effect (what you pay to squeeze the mix is mostly given back when it expands again) on a V8 where there's always something going up while something else is going down. Internal engine friction and (believe it or not) static ignition timing seem to have the biggest effect in my experience.

BTW- fixing a "hot start" problem is TOTALLY different than a problem with getting the motor rolling on a cold morning. The root causes are almost always completely different between the two.

8. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Don't buy into big CCA batteries being better. If you'll research the anatomy of a car battery, you'll see why.

The lead plates are normally stuffed in a battery case side by side. The more CCA, the more lead plates. The more lead plates you stuff inside, the closer together they have to be situated. In a hot climate or under the hood of a vehicle that sees high under-hood temps, these lead plates can begin to warp (think about a CD case in a hot car).

If they warp and one touches another, those 2 plates short out....now you have a dead cell. I'd stick to the group size and CCA your car came from the factory with.

9. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    I put an Extra battery in the trunk(2).....and went faster b/c traction improved.

PalmbchZ28 and Blown Camaro like this.
  10. camaro71/holland

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    All, thanks so far.

Some comments from this side:
    Got my battery relocated to the trunk. Trying to save overal weight, if more will give better traction, I'll look for cheaper options than an extra battery ;)

My understanding of deep cycle batteries, is that they are ment for slow/long draw, not really for cranking. Will look for cranking or dual purpose battery.

500CCA is what I'm aiming at. Looking for AGM to have no worries about positioning or leaks.

Type 51 looks like an interesting (and cheaper) option for the PC1100. Was looking for other brands, but no real luck around here in Europe.