Mike Honcho's 1970 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by MikeHoncho, Jul 16, 2017.

1. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Hey guys! I'm new to the site, but I figured I'd share my story with you guys. So, here you go.

It all started 21 years ago when my family and I lived in a hole in the wall town in Nevada called Mina, if you blink you'd miss it. My grandmother had gotten terminally ill and we had to move to Southern California to take care of her. Unfortunately my dad had to leave behind 3 vehicles being that it wasn't likely we'd had room to store them with us. So his 1957 bel-air, 1969 Chevelle SS and 1970 Camaro we're left with a friend of his. After making the move he had a she'd fire in which the titles went up in flames (they weren't titled in his name) so he had given up hope to ever see those cars again. Fast forward 12 years, we're driving from Reno, Nv to Baker, Az for a family trip. To do so we have to drive right through Mina, and he made the remark about the cars so I urged him to stop and see if we could find any of them. Low and behold the 1970 Camaro still sat where it was parked. That day I told him I'd come get that car so day. Fast forward 10 years, after moving back from getting out of the Air Force I tracked down the owner of the property the car sat on after contacting a few residents and the county assessors office. Well, I got in touch with the gentleman and told him my story. I asked if the car is something he would part with, he replied yes. And I promptly asked how much he wanted for it. He then told me "nothing, it's yours. Come pick it up, I couldn't in good conscience sell you a car that rightfully belongs to you and your family". So at this point in time I'm just waiting for my house to close and I'll be going to pick it up. It a complete builder from the ground up but something like this has more sentimental value than anything. I'm stuck between keeping it traditional with a built 350/700r4 combo or doing a 5.3 LS and a 4L60e. I have both set ups I'm just at an impasse with the decision. I've also gone ahead and bought a pair of billet specialty wheels and a set of crager drag stars. Thanks for reading, and look for updates soon to come

Attached Files:

jbloake likes this.
  2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    That's a cool story. Good luck with your build, which ever direction you decide to go. Keep us posted with plenty of photos.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  3. restore-z28

restore-z28 Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Very cool story, not too often in life you find people willing to give up a car for free...but you explained the legacy with the car and he made a decision based on that, congratulations on your family getting that car back. Look forward to the build thread.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  4. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    Great story. Welcome to the forum. Like mentioned keep posting showing your progress.

5. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Welcome to the forum. Glad you got the car back. I'm sure you'll make your family proud when you're finished

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to keep updates as they come in.

7. Carolina Man

Carolina Man Member

Mar 18, 2017
    OK
    Another good thread to watch

8. aps63

aps63 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 4, 2007
    N.J.
    GREAT story!!!! The land owner sounds like a real stand up guy.
    Looking forward to the updates.

9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    IMG_20170811_110549.jpg IMG_20170811_141947.jpg IMG_20170811_135328.jpg Hey guys!
    Well today was the day, I finally got to go rescue the Camaro from it's resting place of almost 22 years. So, I've been doing some research regarding the VIN and cowl codes to see what the car is optioned with. So far I know it was built in Van nyes, it is a V8 car, the interior is supposed to be blue. But that's everything I've been able to uncover. Any further information would be great! More to come!

10. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I'd put the LS in there. I'm all about shoving new technology into these cars...

Nothing like the look of a classic with the feel of a late model...