mig welder... Silver Beauty model #90100

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Monkey9racer, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Monkey9racer

Monkey9racer Veteran Member

Aug 29, 2004
    san jose, ca
    I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a SILVER BEAUTY mig welder? Model #90100.... My neighbor said he'd sell it to me for a couple hundred bucks...is that a good price? $200....>????? Its pretty damn near new. All i need to do is get the gas tank for it. Is this a good deal or not? i just need something to do basic welds on my cars..nothin fancy. thanks alot

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Monkey,

I've never seen a "Silver beauty" MIG. But I have seen replacement consumables like contact tips and gas shields at the welding supply so I would assume it could be relatively decent but possibly a lower end machine.

Depending on the features, controls, gun, and other details, I'd say it would be hard to pass if it's relatively new and only $200.00! especially if you are getting a gas regulator with the machine and only need to get a bottle!

If anything, it would be a unit to learn and improve your skills on but it may not have the amps to handle heavy frame work (220V, 40%+ duty cycle) or it may not have the finite control to do fine sheet metal work.

You might call a couple of welding suppliers in your area to find more info on it to see if they carry the common parts for that model and see what it compares to.

3. wookie

wookie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Daytona Florida
    I couldn't find any info on it anywhere on the net. I'd be a little leary of it if I were you.

4. Monkey9racer

Monkey9racer Veteran Member

Aug 29, 2004
    san jose, ca
    i coudnt find any info on it either on the web! thats actually hard to believe, usually everythings on the web!lol... i'll probably pick it up then since like you said, its prob. good to learn with. Thats what i was thinking. And yes, it has the regulator, gun, and copper wire. So all i need is the tank! thanks guys, i;ll let you guys know how it performs, or should i say, I PERFORM, since this is going to be the first time i weld! lol

5. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    Monkey,

FWIW, my best friend, who owns a machine shop and exclusively does auto and diesel engines, has owned a Silver Beauty 110 MIG for 30+ years and it still does not miss a beat. This unit has been used in commercial service 3X per week plus for probably 30 years and still works well. I am confident that it is an older brand which was consumed by one of the majors. We have a guy at a local welding supply shop who can find parts for about anything OR find another brand that will work as well. I have welded with the Beauty in the shop (on valve seats to shrink and remove them) and although this unit is old and beat, it still is flawless. If you can score a complete set up minus the bottle BUT WITH the gas regulator and hose, then it is certainly worth a couple of hundred.

MY opinion only,
    Brent