mechanical fan to electrical fan conversion

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by xlargest, Jun 24, 2017.

1. xlargest

xlargest Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2016
    las vegas, nv
    Not finished with it yet (wiring) but I tested out a 4th generation camaro dual electric fan I got from the junkyard and it works great!! I ran my car for close to a half an hour and I never got the temp to go past 150 with this fan operating. Before with the mechanical fan I would overheat pretty quickly. It would be at 210 after sitting idle in no time. I live in Las Vegas so the outdoor temp right now is 115 to 118. I'm very happy with the conversion. Just wanted to say thanks to this forum for the posts about using a 4th generation dual fan assembly.

[​IMG]

2. xlargest

xlargest Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2016
    las vegas, nv
    Trying to get the picture to upload...
    [​IMG]

3. xlargest

xlargest Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2016
    las vegas, nv
    I installed my dual fans and they individually come on at different times by thermostatic switches (185 & 200 degrees). they keep the engine cool no problem but when I shut the car down the fans continue running for a LONG TIME like at least 20 minutes before they shut off. Anyway how can control this so it doesn't drain my battery?

4. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Veteran Member

Dec 1, 2014
    TN
    You control it at the ignition. best i recall, the wiring for the fan would need to come from the 'run' position of the ignition (best i recall as to how i did it on one of my motors). So when you turn ignition to off, the fan goes off as well.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You used the wrong circuit for your relay trigger hot. YOu need to use IGN hot, not constant hot.

6. xlargest

xlargest Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2016
    las vegas, nv
    Any suggestions where I tie in to an ignition source? I have already used the BATT and IGN tab on my fuse block. Where can I double up on an ignition source?

7. Rdobbs1977

Dec 1, 2014
    TN
    If no one answers and you think it would help, within the next day or so, i can got to my garage and revisit how i wired my electric fan. Its a running 355 motor i have on a homemade test chassis with an old school turn key (IE no steering column). Pretty sure i ran my power wire from the 'run' post of the ignition (had to of else I'd have the same problem as you) and also wired a manual override switch while i was at it. I don't think the relay is your problem here though.

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

There has to be an IGN hot to tap under the hood. I actually used the pink coil lead to trigger a relay for my HEI as well as my fan controller and probably something else. I took all that amperage off my fuse box.

But i think the wiper motor has an IGN hot, the coil does. The choke lead is probably IGN hot. Get a test light out and start looking. You should not have to touch your fusebox.

Attached Files:

9. Rdobbs1977

Dec 1, 2014
    TN
    ^^agree

10. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    I agree with the others, as you could tap a source under the hood. Just be cautious. Make sure the line you tap into can handle the load. Id suggest to use that source to trigger a relay, and run the fans from the battery direct, with an in line fuse of course.