McCune's Triple option restore project 1973 TypeLT/RS/Z28

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by McCune, Feb 27, 2016.

1. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    I looked for three years for a real triple option Z28. I finally found one that fits my needs. It had to be a 4 speed,it had to be a early build with the stitched headliner and it had to have a solid black interior.

I really wanted a silver car but ended up buying a purple car that used to be dark red code 74. I really don't like the dark red in 73 but this car came with something different,so different that I am starting to believe I may own the only triple option 4 speed 73 with a red vinyl top?

The car I bought was not my style of Z28 at all, car was a purple color that reminded me of a Dodge, it stood two feet in the air like a gasser, it had a automatic trans and a 69 Chevelle 350 in it . I questioned the auto trans and was assured it was a 4 speed car as they couldn't get the 4 speed to work after they spent lot of money into it,so they put a auto in its place. The original engine CLJ was sitting outside on a shelf next to the garage, thank goodness they still had this very important piece of this car.

I am doing a full restoration/numbers matching build and will be going back to the original color with the red top.

The car has a few issues that will be resolved, it has some really strong points as well. The car on the trailer is the way I bought it.

Love to hear suggestions and or comments of what is thought about this car.

Really dig this NastyZ28 site,you guys rock!

Thanks for reading!
    Jim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    73 Lt

Any plans to take it as is to any of the shows in St G, Hurricane or Cedar this year?

3. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    I don't think it will be anywhere close to being done this year,hopefully late 2017.

4. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    Great find, nice car to start with, I wish mine was that rustfree to start with. I'm about 75% done with my # matching 73 Lt Z28.

5. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    Thanks, I feel very fortunate to find a car that has very few rust issues, it does suffer from shitty body work done a few times in its life. Feel free to send me pictures of your build as I love 73 Z28s ! This is my second 73 Z, my first was when I was 19 in 1984 drove it off a cliff in 1989 just a few months after winning Super Chevy Sunday @ Sears Point raceway 1988. I miss that car.

6. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Okay, I've got to know. How'd you manage to drive it off a cliff?

7. legierk

legierk Veteran Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Waskom, TX
    Yes, very nice starting point here. Ambitious goal with #'s matching and all, but doable. More expensive too, but you already knew that. We'll be watching and offering assistance if needed.

8. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah
    Well, I am now 22 years sober but back in the day I liked my beer. Let's just say 2nd gear 6500 rpm power shift into third and a road I wasn't familiar with. The hard left just kept coming and I was trying my hardest not to go off the road, all I could think of was busting off the front spoiler and then the road dropped off (about 12 feet) into a golf coarse driving range.Landed nose first bent the car real bad,I didn't get hurt and I had no insurance. It was a all GM built car ordered every part from my local dealer. I miss those days of real parts.

[​IMG]

9. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Aug 22, 2015
    st.george utah

Yes it is a challenge and I welcome the task. Thanks for any help !

10. speed_m5

speed_m5 Veteran Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Baytown Texas
    nice.. just FYI I have a a lot of new old stock stuff if you need/ want anything special