Matt's 1971 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Matilda71, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Matilda71

Matilda71 New Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Totally agree with that. Nothing can beat the feeling you get when you finally finish a part and get it back on the car in working order.

You are braver than me. The one part of the entire project that I am not looking forward to is welding. I am sure your welds look way better than mine will!

2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I appreciate the vote of confidence in my welding skills! I am willing to do the welding where it won't be readily visible so when it comes time to do any bodywork I'm pretty sure I will be farming that out but otherwise I'm going to keep working at it where needed. I'm hoping once I get the gas tank for my MIG welder, the welds will start to look a bit cleaner.

3. Matilda71

Matilda71 New Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Small (LARGE) Update

Woke up today determined to get the car running. Nothing was stopping today from happening.

Last week we changed the spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, but that was a no go. I don't think my Dad was a fan of walking all the way in the woods and all the way back out every time we forgot something. We also tested the ignition coil, points and the fuel pump. Points and pump were bad, so I ordered them as soon as I got home.

Went over to my Dad's house today and he already had the tractor out and waiting. I guess he was wanting to get it out of there. Obviously, I had to take a picture of me "driving" the car for the first time.

[​IMG]

Pulled it into the driveway and went to work. First thing was pressure washing all of the dirt/grime/mold that was all over the paint. She may not be a looker now, but when it's wet, you can see yourself in the paint. I can't wait until that's a permanent thing.

[​IMG]

Found a few creatures hanging out in the car. Scorpion and a field mouse. Unfortunately, they have to leave and find somewhere else to stay. Tried to get the trunk open, but it was rusted shut. The slide hammer took care of that pretty quickly, so while that's sad to hear, we got access to the trunk at the 4th wheel. We had to put a spare on it 10 years ago when we got it running and thought the trunk would be a good spot for it to sit until we were ready to use it again.

Changed out the fuel pump, adjusted the carb, changed out the spark plugs, and this was the final result:

"

I haven't heard this car run in 10 years, and it did not disappoint. The video does not do the sound justice, though I'm sure you guys know what they sound like. We put it on the lift and there is a hole, maybe 5 or 6 inches in both headers. So basically, there is no exhaust on the car, which I don't think I'll have a problem with that for the time being. It sounds pretty good loud. Changed the oil, inspected all the lines (which were all stainless from the last restore) and everything seems to be fine mechanically. We both were smiling ear to ear, and I wouldn't change that for anything.

Going to get two tires for the rear and then she'll be good to put in her new home, the new garage. I think i'm just going to get two used tires for the time being and wait a bit to upgrade to GOOD tires. It's not too far of a drive between the two spots, so I think that's the best choice. For now, this is where she sits.

[​IMG]

BowHunter likes this.
  4. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Wow..... That is awesome. Getting off that grime was the first start, and now it moves!? Great job on the carb rebuild . You must be pumped.

5. Matilda71

Matilda71 New Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Words can't espress how pumped I am to get this car on the road. It's so close. I'm nervous about driving it. The only other standard transmission I have driven is a 2000 S10. Going from a little 100 horsepower 4 cylinder to this thing is crazy. I only drove it out of the garage, but I almost stalled out a few times. Just something to get used to before I drive it far.

This is definitely a car that just won't quit. It didn't take much time/effort to get it started. Something you don't see with modern cars.

BowHunter likes this.
  6. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Olive Branch, MS
    Cool. Glad you got it going

7. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    cool story keep it going...................

8. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Verona, ITALY
    Yeah man! that's amazing, congratulation! now let the fun begin!

9. Matilda71

Matilda71 New Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Not a whole lot going on this weekend, just looking over it more before we actually take her on the road.

I got new tires mounted and put on the car. The driver side was easy to get off and back on. The passenger side was a bit more difficult. We put a spare on it the last time we had it out, and I guess the weather got to it. Had a torch and a hammer at the ready to help with it. Got it off no problem with those tools, and now she has fresh tires.

One of the main concerns was overheats/waterpump not working. Last weekend, we thought we saw it leaking water, but it seems to be sealed and working properly. It was possible that the "leak" was just water from when we pressure washed the engine bay to get the grime out.

Still can't get the driver door open. Sprayed a WD40 all around and it won't budge. Looking down the lock, you can see a little critter made a home inside the door. We gave him an eviction notice that he has to be out by the weekend. Going to pull off the door panel/strip the interior Sunday to see what we can do about that.

Headers still haven't been delivered, which is a shame. They should have been here Saturday, but that was a no go. Hopefully they will be here today, and we can get them on Sunday.

Found that the turn signals don't work, so that's another thing we have to get going on it before we take it on the road.

All in all, we are slowly moving forward with her. I'm just glad we are making progress with it!

10. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    Cool story and car. You will enjoy this a lot !!