Matt's 1971 Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Matilda71, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Philly

Philly Veteran Member

Mar 11, 2009
  2. Matilda71

Matilda71 New Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Another update! This must be a Christmas miracle. I don't post here often, but maybe this thread will pick up soon. This is one is definitely an exciting update. At least for me, it is.

I talked everything over with my Dad and he signed the title over to me. Went to the DMV in get a new title and get it registered under my name. I get there bright and early, second in line. Title gets transferred to my name, but they will not allow me to use the vintage tags, claiming they are too rusted. I can understand that. I had already planned on refinishing the plates, so now is a better time that ever. Here's what I started with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I took the plates to work the same day and had them media blasted by some coworkers. They made quick work of it, and was very happy with the results. I was just happy to see all the rust off of it. There are some spots where the rust had ate through the metal, but overall, not too bad.

[​IMG]

Next, I took some white spray paint/primer and sprayed all the white on the front and back.

[​IMG]

I had to figure out how to put the black on the letters. I started to hand paint, but it was not coming out the way I wanted it to. I ran out and bought a hard roller at a local hobby store and rolled the letters. It didn't come out the way I want it, but for a temporary fix, it'll work. Went back to the DMV later on in the week and, with a little bit of hassle, they registered the car.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, the garage was started and finished. So now there is a place to actually store the car and work on it. She's not in there yet, but hopefully will be in the next few days. Hopefully there won't be too much hate for posting a picture of the Mustang. :)

[​IMG]

I went out yesterday to check on the Camaro. Bought a new battery for it and put it in. Couldn't get in the driver side door, seems like it is rusted shut. May have something to do with it not sitting on even ground. For now, i'll be crawling through the passenger side. Couldn't get the car started, but you could hear her trying! Pulled the air cleaner off and the carb was a little dirty. Took it off and started cleaning it. Also going to siphon all the old gas out and put some fresh stuff in there.

Checked the oil, still full. Checked the radiator, still full. Checked gas tank, still has 1/2 tank. She's still holding her fluids, which is a relief. As soon as she is pulled out of the backyard, i'll change all the fluids. I was told that this car specifically uses 20W-50 oil. Is that normal? I only ever deal with 10W-30, or 5W-30. Don't know why anyone would use such a thick oil. My dad said "I built the engine loose so it needs thicker oil." He didn't say much else about it, but I guess i'll keep running the same oil he did.

3. Matilda71

Matilda71 New Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Now that all the holidays are over with, and the ball rolling on the car, I feel like it's going to be a great year.

Spent the morning of New Years Eve looking over the car. Seems like she isn't getting any fuel to the carburetor. I took a peak inside and it is totally gunked up with stuff. I guess animals decided it would be a good idea to put seeds. Here's the last picture of her from 2016.

[​IMG]

Pulled out the carb and gave it a once over. According to the numbers, it's a Holley 4150, 750cfm with a vacuum secondary. Should be alright to rebuild and reuse. A couple of screws were rusted on, which it why I took the hoses too. Ordered the rebuild kit, which should be here Thursday. Just in time for a weekend project.

[​IMG]

Here's a closer look at the carb. Something was having a field day by stuffing everything down there.

[​IMG]

Haven't taken apart a carburetor before. Will be a fun learning experience. Picked up a book and have been watching a few videos on it. Doesn't seem too difficult, just lots of tiny pieces that can go missing.

4. Twisted72

Twisted72 Veteran Member

Nov 8, 2015
    New Albany, Indiana
    ohh dang critters ! good luck on the rebuild hope it fires up for ya ..

5. Matilda71

Matilda71 New Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Finally got around to breaking down the carburetor. Wasn't the hardest thing in the world, yet still took me a minute to make sure I got all the pieces in the right spot. Bought a nice rebuild kit from Jegs, and it had everything I needed. Also picked up a rebuild book just as a safety net. It definitely came in handy on a few occasions.

[​IMG]

Opened up the carb from the bottom and found a bunch of bedding. I guess the mice figured this was a good spot to set up camp. Cleaned out their home, along with all the seeds/nuts that were inside.

[​IMG]

Since the car is in the woods currently, I guess I should get used to spiders being near/inside the car. However, I wasn't expecting this one inside the diaphragm. Explains where all the egg sacs were coming from.

[​IMG]

After I got the entire thing broken down, I wanted to give it a good cleaning. I went and bought a gallon can of carb cleaner and dipped the main bore inside of it. I also read that people have used pine sol/water mixture to clean up everything. I put the float bowls in a 2:1 mixture and saw how it did. Honestly, I was pretty happy with how well it cleaned up some of the metal. Rinsed everything with warm water and then blew it all out with the air hose. Not bad at all.

[​IMG]

Aside from a bit of rust that needed to be knocked off, I think it came out pretty good.

[​IMG]

I put it back on the car, and it still wouldn't start. No cough/sputter coming from the engine. I imagine it's a spark related issue. Without any help it's hard to test a spark issue, so I poured a little bit of gas directly in the carb and tried to start. Nothing. I don't know how I missed it before, but the plug wire going from the distributor cap to the ignition coil was chewed in half. Went out, bought another, but still nothing. I picked up some spark plugs and a new set of points that I'm going to replace. I'm hoping it's something as easy as that.

6. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, check for spark you can lay the sparkplug on the engine block. If the outside of the plug (the threaded part) is touching ground you should see nice sharp spark arcing across the plug when you crank the car over. you don't want to get whacked with a good coil so wear insulated gloves or hold the plug against any bare part of the engine with insulated pliers. Stay out of the moving parts and communicate with whomever is helping you. If not sparking it could be a bad coil. check all of your wires going to distributor and coil, and from battery and to ground. Clean them up with sandpaper and use dielectric grease to keep them from corroding again. you can get a cheap HEI distributor with a coil in it for like $55 online brand new. I've used a couple and they work great. It wouldn't hurt to check where your fuel pump line goes to the carb and safely using a container etc. turn the car over and see if the fuel pump is pumping fuel after you're sure you have spark, you should be fine starting the car but it can take a bit to refill the fuel bowls in the carb especially if the pump isn't doing its job well. If not they are cheap to replace or rebuild. Don't use a lot of ether because whatever you pour down the carb has to go somewhere. Keep an extinguisher handy (don't make a mess with it if you don't have to usually smothering the fire with a blanket will work) because with timing, rebuilt carb etc. it's not to difficult to get a backfire through the carb. Jealous of your car.... my uncle had one. Have fun!

7. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    I haven't touched a carb in many many years so good on you for the doing the rebuild yourself. I will be going FI in my 71 when it comes time so won't touch a carb then either!

8. Matilda71

Matilda71 New Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Thanks man! It's hard checking for spark when there isn't anyone to help out. I just picked up a set of plugs, wires, and points, so i'm going to just change it all out and work from there. I figure it can't hurt to change them either way. I don't pour much into the carb, but I did want to see if it coughed/sputtered. Nothing changed when I did it though. Haven't looked into the fuel pump, but there is definitely something wrong with the spark if it won't do anything with fuel being poured directly inside. Or at least that's how I see it. We'll find out this weekend for sure. I would like it if it got out of the woods now that tick season is right around the corner.

It was surprisingly easy. I took LOADS of pictures of each step/part to make sure I got back everything in the right spot. The only tough spot I came across was finding a clutch driver bit to get the metering plate off and then trying to get it off without bending it. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded buying a brand new carburetor though! Haha! However, I want to be able to say that I did it all by myself and not just throwing money at the car.

9. demigodofa

demigodofa Member

Sep 8, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Interested to hear how it goes.

10. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    It is great being able to do as much of the work on our cars as possible, it gives a great feeling of accomplishment when you complete work on a part and that is a priceless feeling. I'm working on repairs to the subframe body mount holes and am doing the welding myself. Being able to do that feels great even though my welds look like carp at the moment! However, a grinder helps remove a lot of the evidence!