Matching Numbers Question

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by steinism, Jul 4, 2016.

1. steinism

steinism New Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Maplewood, NJ
    Hello all. Hoping for some help here.

I'm looking to buy a '79 Z that I have my eye on but I'm trying to get the owner to send me the numbers so I can verify that they are all original to the car.

He sent me the engine code, which matches the vin but the numbers for the transmission are just not adding up. Here's what he sent. Maybe he's looking in the wrong place. If its numbers matching, I'm buying.

engine
    19n608281

tranny
    3825858 or 3825856, he says it's hard to read.

rear
    20-1251888

Appreciate any help

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The tranny number you posted isn't a partial VIN. It is some kind of GM part number that won't match it up to the car. That rear end number isn't useful either, but the rear end didn't get a partial VIN from the factory so it is difficult to determine if it is the original one.

3. steinism

steinism New Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Maplewood, NJ
    Thanks. So it looks like he still needs to find the tranny number. When I looked at the rear end you could tell that it was never removed. Still had the tag on the cover and you could see that the springs were never seperated from the axle housing.

Any pointers on where he can find the transmission number?

Thx again

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

IIRC it's stamped on a pad on the RH side of the trans. (assuming its a 4-speed. not sure on th350)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  5. Gary S

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    What kind of transmission is in the car?

6. steinism

steinism New Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Maplewood, NJ
  7. Gary S

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The closest number I can find to that tranny number is 3925656. If it is this number, it would be a Saginaw transmission which shouldn't be right for a Z28. The Saginaw 4 speed was used on Camaros except on Z28 which should have had a Borg Warner.

Recheck that casting number. They are almost impossible to read on rough castings. Even more important would be the partial VIN if you can find that number. It identifies the actual car it belongs to.

8. steinism

steinism New Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Maplewood, NJ
    Thx. I thought the Saginaw's were avail for the Z's for 1979. I saw pics of the transmission on a lift, it was very clean. Just to confirm, the partial VIN should be on the transmission as well?

Thx

9. steinism

steinism New Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Maplewood, NJ
    BTW he also sent this number over from the transmission

10. Gary S

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    3899621 is the number for the Chevy bell housing for the large 11" clutch used on the '79 Z28.