Maryland Safety Inspection?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by docnascar, Dec 15, 2010.

1. docnascar

docnascar Veteran Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Maryland
    I heard Maryland has or may be implementing a safety inspection on all cars, including historic and antique.

Does anyone know about this?

The current rules doesn't say anything about the age of the car. When I bought mine about 11 years ago, it wasn't required to have it inspected.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Vehicle-Services/REG/titlereg.htm#certinspection

2. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Maryland doesn't have vehicle safety inspections? NY has had them since Moby Dick was a minniow. We have to inspections per vehicle: one safety and one emissions which are both done at the same time yearly.

3. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Pa. doesnt require inspections on antique tagged vehicles.Least,not yet.

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    In MD a classic (or "historic" as they call it on the forms) is 20 years old or older and doesn't require any inspection. I have registered a lot of classics in MD in the few years I've lived here, including my 1988 fullsize pickup! Hey it's a classic. The MD VR 096 is the form you need for Historic or Street rod.

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-096.pdf

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  5. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    BondoSpecial has it right.....used to be 25 years or older...but that was shortened to 20 yrs not too long ago....but there is more to the story. The MD state inspection is a 1-time deal unless the title transfers, (car is sold). So, if the vehicle is titled/tagged in MD..you can let the tags expire, and get it retagged/registered at a later date and not have to go through the MD State inspection again. The point is that once inspected and if the title doesn't change, regardless of whether it's under the Historic or Street Rod exemption or not, you should not have to have it inspected.

In my opinion, the one to watch out for is changes in SMOG test requirements which is county-by-county in Maryland...urgh.

6. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    Could be a wording thing.I dont know MD,but in pa an Antique tagged vehicle is no inspections,a Classic vehicle is inspections.

7. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    the 20 year old vehicles in MD never need to be insepcted, not even once. The 1 time inspection in MD is only for normal, non historic vehicles. I have 5 cars in my name in MD and 3 are classics and I have tagged and sold I think 4 other vehicles, some classic some not, in the past 2 years here in MD.