manual valve body on the street??

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by torquejunky, Sep 11, 2007.

1. torquejunky

torquejunky Veteran Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Maitland, FL (Orlando)
    Anyone running a manual valve body in there auto tranny on the street?
    Pros vs Cons...

2. 1WILDZ

1WILDZ Veteran Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Rockland County, NY
    I run a turbo 400 with a reverse manual valve body on the street and love it. It shifts nice and hard, and quick. I like the control factor, its like having a stick shift with no clutch. Not sure if its good for the trans, though, heard its alittle ruff on the trans since you now have high line pressures, possibly wont last as long as a standard valve body. But I would def do it again!

3. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT
    I've had them in my last two cars, also with the reverse shift pattern, and I'd do it again. I like the control without the clutch.

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I ran a manual valve body TH350 in my 64 Chevy II on the street. It quickly wore out its welcome with the local law enforcement PLUS if you are doing to speed in drive and happen to bump the shifter into a lower gear, it will shift into that lower gear RIGHT NOW! This is NOT a good thing!

Personally, I'd advise against installing a manual valve body on the street. I would rather see you install a shift improver kit and a B&M govenor recallibration kit (it moves the shifts points to where you want to have the trans shift at WOT).

5. Brandondrm

Brandondrm New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Oakboro, NC
    I was debating asking the same question. One of the guys around the shop was talking about it today.

Now for which one? Sorry to highjack, but does anybody know of a standard pattern w/o engine braking transbrake for a t350?

6. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Podunk, CT

That wont happen with the reverse shift pattern

7. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    I have one. 4L80 with lockup converter and a Hurst ProMatic Ratchet.
    Pro:
    Its interactive, feel like you're doing something all the time....shifting.
    Have control over the shifts. Most of the time I lift the throttle a little when shifting, makes it nice and smooth. If I stay on the peddle and go 1-2 around 4000, its much like being rear ended by a logging truck. Kinda fun to watch your passengers head bounce off the backrest though. lol
    On the highway, click off the converter, slap it down to third and stand on it to pass someone, anyone. When beside them, slap it back to fourth, get off the throttle, click the converter to lock as you pull in front. Bit of a procedure but very, very, satisfying.
    Girls think its too complicated and won't ask if they can drive it.
    Most people who hear the car think its a manual, and I don't mind a manual, but not co-ordinated enough to be good with one :screwup:

Cons:
    Its a damn pain in the arse if you're trying to drink a coffee or have a slurpee between your legs, you're either going to get singed or shrinkage. Get a hands free thingy for your cell phone.
    If you hit first while you're moving too fast, you get a horn button to the forehead.
    Its a lot of shifting with a ratchet, I'm getting a callus on my palm from the knob.
    If I forget to lift the throttle, my head bounces off the backrest.
    Have to pay attention to what gear its in, or hook up the light for the gear indicator.

I kinda like mine, I'm going to put a drink holder in the console though. Have to remember to shift to third in the burnout box to get a really good smoke show happening. 2nd gear just doesn't cut it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  8. With this setup do you get engine braking in all gears, just in top gear, or none at all?

9. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Brian,
    Are you asking Tom about the 4L80 or about manual VB's in general?

10. KylePBZ

KylePBZ Veteran Member

May 5, 2006
    So. IL

Depends on whose VB you run. Check around to find who makes the one you would prefer. Almost all trans companies offer at least one manual vb for t350's. Also, you might ask or pm Jakeshoe, he's got this stuff on lock.