Manual centering springs?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by MP81, Jan 25, 2018.

1. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    So are the brass bushings readily available to install?

On the topic of the shifter...do I have any options to make this thing about 400 times shorter? I feel like it doesn't really need to be nearly this long...

2. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    We used to carry bronze bushings years ago (late 70s/early 80s) at a race shop where I worked. Stocked up. If there is a shop near you, I'd check there first. I think ours were Dorman. Or you could take a shifter arm and a rod to your local hardware to match it up.. Summit has "Pit Packs" with steel bushings. About $15.00 I think.

3. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Yeah, looks like those would do the trick. I'm sure it'll make 3rd gear whine through the shifter even harder, but meh.

So on the topic of shorter shifter...I see there are quite a few options on Hurst's site (and on Summit)...could I theoretically buy one of the short straight shifters and bolt it in place of my current one? I've got pretty long arms, so reach would not be an issue I don't think...

4. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
  5. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    If you think about what limited slip additive does you wouldn't want it. Without the additive a friction type limited slip (disk or cone) may chatter, the additive prevents this. The chatter is from the friction surfaces grabbing excessively, but in a manual tranny, you want the syncro blocker rings to grab the gear cones as aggressively as possible.

The bushings are accessible from under the car, those are easy. The actual shifter "box", not so much. Its definitely doable with regular hand tools but there are some techniques to get the springs in place during assembly that take some creativity and patience. Youtube has some videos that help. Best advice is to take pictures before and during assembly and keep parts in order to simplify assembly. I took mine all apart and jumbed the parts when I cleaned them. Assembly wasn't that intuitive. But now, the shifter works brandy new and there are 2 clear levels of lever bias, light to move into the 1-2 gate no question more effort to get into R.

MP81 likes this.
  6. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Anybody have any experience with the shift lever I posted?

eBay has a 15% off everything coupon, so I was thinking about buying that and the pit pack, but it ends tonight.