Manual centering springs?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by MP81, Jan 25, 2018.

1. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Hi there,

I was playing around with the 6-speed shifter in a Cruze Diesel Hatch at the Auto Show (NAIAS) yesterday, and it reminded me of a question I've been wanting to ask (but keep forgetting to).

My '81 has a Hurst shifter in it, but it doesn't really seem to center on anything. I've ended up in 3rd instead of first a few times at a light (and one time in Reverse), and after playing with the Cruze shifter, I'm realizing that there don't seem to be any centering springs in the Camaro like I've been used to in the few other manual cars I've driven.

Are there supposed to be, and they're just entirely worn out? The shifter itself feels a bit sloppy, so I'm wondering if the whole thing could use a rebuild - but I feel like I should be centered in the 1-2 gate, so that getting into 3rd or Reverse is a bit more of a task instead of not really having a clue which gate the shifter is in.

Thanks!

2. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Bump! Any thoughts?

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My Hurst shifter has springs that push it into the 3-4 line when in neutral. It doesn't center between the 1-2 and 3-4 position, but sits fully in the 3-4 position. That way when power shifting from 2 to 3, it automatically finds the 3-4 position so there are no missed shifts. My shifter is the OEM Hurst that Chevy installed in the car. The Hurst supplied ones for aftermarket installation would likely be the same.

4. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    It sounds like at the very least the rod end bushings are shot.

5. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    You know, now that I think about it, maybe it does center to 3rd. I have a T-handle on it, pointed at 3rd, so it always does want to go into 3rd regardless - I have to remember to push on the edge of the handle, or on the lever, to make it go into first. Or I shift into second and then first, as it aligns me.

I would not be surprised if those bushings are toast...I'm sure they've seen many shifts. Would those be accessible if I pull the boot off?

6. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    I just rebuilt a Hurst Comp plus that did have spring bias to hold the lever in between the 3/4 gate but it had almost no additional resistance to go all the way into the rev gate.

After rebuilding it, and not replacing any parts, it feels perfect. It could just be in need of a real good rebuild.

7. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    If not already equipped with them, install bronze bushings in the shifter arms. Much more positive shifting. The crappy nylon bushings wear fast.
    BTW Back in the 'old days', I was told by racers using 4-speeds, that adding differential 'posi-lube' to the transmission lube makes for a better shifting trans. Anyone else do that? I always use it. Can't hurt.

8. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    Yeah, I'd almost bet it's original to when it was installed. Is the rebuild an easy thing to do (lumping the bushings in with that), I'm assuming? Is that a kit that is something I can purchase?

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Years ago I tried posi additive to a truck 4 speed that shifted badly. The posi lube didn't help hardly at all. After that, I replaced the lube completely with Amsoil MTG manual transmission gearlube. After that, the tranny shifted beautifully, better than it ever did new.
    I run the same Amsoil MTG in my Muncie in my Camaro, and it shifts better than new even though it is 48 years old.

10. MP81

MP81 Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Washington Township, MI
    AMSOIL is good stuff. Just replaced the factory trans fluid in the CTD with some Fuel-Efficient Signature Series Full Synthetic, and it's amazing how much happier that transmission is.

Also probably helps it has fluid in it...we only drained about 1.5 qts - and that was after shaking the living hell out of the engine/trans for 10 minutes to get extra to drain. About 3 quarts is supposed to come out. So likely all of the bad behavior I attributed to the trans/trans fluid was simply a lack of it (trans lines are seeping already).

I have to check where it is coming from, but if I were to take a guess, I'd say the output seal, but there's definitely a seep somewhere. But there is so much grime from when the valvecover seal was leaking for I don't know how many years before I got it, it's hard to tell.