Manual brakes to power

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by haroldpo6, May 19, 2017.

1. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

May 9, 2015
    PC Fl
    I have a 1970 Camaro with manual brakes that I what to change to power brakes. The engine is a 355 alum head w/small cam. What parts will I need to make the change over or does someone make a kit? It has stock front dics and rear drum now, but might change to C5 front dics or 4 wheel dics. later. I do know the master cylinder is diff between power and manual and maybe brake rod to pedal, not sure.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

If you you want to change it power disc you need the brake booster ,master cylinder for you year 1970-3 of car, But if you want to change to 4 wheel disc . After you change over to power brakes.You can use your front disc brakes and brake booster. A master cylinder,proportioning valve ,and rear disc brake assembly for a 198-1 Fire bird,/Tran Am. Aren`t GM cars wonderfull.Its a shame that Chevy didn`t offer that option.

Attached Files:

3. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

May 9, 2015
    PC Fl
    Also, how much vacuum with I need for the power brakes? I have 14-15"" at idle now.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

that should be fine.But if you are worried some of the cam companies have vacuum booster canisters.

5. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
  6. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

May 9, 2015
    PC Fl
    Thanks for the reply. I did a search for your power brake swap and the search engine did not go back far enough. I see where you said the brakes lines are diff, but I only find complete brake line kits. Also the getdiscbrake.com link only shows from 1971-73 not a 1970 yr. You also said I will need a new brake pedal pin?

7. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

May 9, 2015
    PC Fl
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] master cylinder 001.JPG master cylinder 002.JPG master cylinder 003.JPG master cylinder 002.JPG master cylinder 002.JPG master cylinder 003.JPG [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

8. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

May 9, 2015
    PC Fl
    This is what my set-up looks like now. Anyone know what the part is in the 2nd image? A line from the proportioning goes to it and one goes from this part to the master cylinder. I'm trying to find all the parts I"ll need to change over to power. In the first image the part is to the right of the master cylinder.
    Sorry for all the same images.

9. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

May 9, 2015
    PC Fl
    After searching, I think it is called a metering valve. I'm guessing this goes away with the new power brake system. On the right stuff site they call it a (factory disc brake valve) And says you will need diff brakes lines(a complete kit) not just front, if you have this valve? Summit has a conversion kit that does not show this disc valve being reused. Also I have found that the 1970 Camaro is plummed diff than 71-81. Right stuff does not list a conversion kit for the 70.

10. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

May 9, 2015
    PC Fl