Manual Brakes Conversion for Drag Racing

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by 74RAT, Mar 16, 2010.

1. hhott71

hhott71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Joplin Mo. 64801
    I use a manual brake MC which has the piston drilled about an inch deep. You can do that to any MC piston. You wold want to clamp it on the scalloped area or use a collet holder on a lathe.

The pushrod cannot fall out when it's in deep.

2. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    glad I found this, should also be a sticky in the brake section.

thanks for all the info!!!

3. 702VegasKid

702VegasKid New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Henderson, NV
    Ok guys. Doing the conversion now. Old m/c removed. Booster removed. 4 stock studs are all that remain. My problem is that the diameter of the studs is larger, and the distance is wider than the holes on the new m/c.

Need some advice. I do not think an adapter plate is possible. What options are left? Drill the holes wider? Slot the holes on the m/c? Just concerned about the integrity of the m/c housing.

Your thoughts and suggestions are very welcome. Thanks.

4. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    I drilled the holes oversize and then put thick washers on before the nuts to help cover the holes and spread out the force.

5. 702VegasKid

702VegasKid New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Henderson, NV
    Thanks Sponge003. I drilled the holes on the M/C to a total diameter of 9/16 slowly but surely. I was worried I would run out of meat on the flange but it did work and there was more material left than I thought there would be after all.

I am using a Strange M/C that came with fire wall backing plates. Bored out and trimmed one of the backing plate and the figment is perfect. It even holds the dust boot like a champ. Very happy with the install.

Now comes the plumbing.....

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  6. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    Great!!

Put up a couple of pics!!

7. KennyM

KennyM New Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Moss Point,Ms
    hey guys i just got back into racing and been having a issue as well with a conversion i tried-I have good brakes but,my line lock works but,wont hold the front tires at even 1200 rpm.
    Here is what I have and used.-I ordered a kit from malibudave from ebay for the s10 manual conversion and then found yalls site.Well I race a 86 s10 blazer 1/8th mile bracket truck only.Not street driven.It runs 7.20s.
    Anyway he talked me into using the kit with plate and pushrod kit.He told me to get a MC that was a small bore from a dodge shadow.(I did get the 1993 dodge shadow master cylinder and the pv4 proporcelin valve.I got thermoquiet pads,new lines andmy line lock hooked up.I did get 1980 malibu calipers from advanced auto parts).Well all is brand new.I didnt get to much help from that master cylinder so I tried a stock one and the pedal was way to hard for some reason.Well I ordered a new fenco nm1822 (looks like a strange)-the bore size is 1.031 the other i seen was 1.125.Well I got brakes but,No line lock hold.I was told today i could get rid of the stock version proporcelain valve (sorry for the spelling) and just run my Line lock.My question im thinking the camaros and s10s are close to suspension set up.Can i run the MC i have now which is a 1979 Plymouth volare with just the line lock or do i have to use a adjustable proporcelan valve with maybe 1 or 2 2lb residual valves?I am sorry asking yall this but-i seen the set up on the pics here and one looked like it didnt have a adjustable but,had the stock looking one with the line lock and the other set of pics looked like no stock PV and had a direct set up with a adjustable PV and i think it was easily looking set up and T out to the front brakes.I hate to beat a dead horse but,I have been through 3 different MC and got finally brakes but,No line lock pressure to hold.Anyway I hope this dont make a person drink after reading this-lololol thank yall for any info and help-Kenny

8. strstk71

strstk71 Veteran Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Surrey BC Canada
    dude I just reversed my lines so I have the line to the front brakes is now on for the rear brake port and visa versa 70% to the rear and 30% to the front my line lock works great like that... have you checked the LL to make sure its working?

9. KennyM

KennyM New Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Moss Point,Ms
    Oh shoot-i sure havent tried it like that-I will get some pics i may have here in a few----------the LL tried to hold up to about 1200rpm when i had the stock MC on it but,i had a extreme hard pedal - and got it to hold some but what was weird i was backing it from the trailer and it almost didnt stop--give me a few and let me look fo a pic