Manual Brakes Conversion for Drag Racing

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by 74RAT, Mar 16, 2010.

1. silver_Z28

silver_Z28 Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Warner Robins, GA
    I've got a couple weeks off for Christmas so was thinking about doing this myself due to a very big cam. Was gonna use a MC for a dodge caravan part 13-1983. Its got a .95 inch bore size. Is that gonna matter much over the 1 inch?

2. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    I would venture to guess that minimal difference wouldn't matter much, but I would rather buy a MC that I know will work......with safety in mind.

3. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    It is a ~10% loss in the area of the circle, does that mean anything? I don't know

you are doing 100mph in the 1/8th, do you want to question your brakes?

4. silver_Z28

silver_Z28 Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Warner Robins, GA
    Ok I started on this project today after placing an order with O'Reilly's for the MC. I removed the brake booster and this might sound dumb... but how did you get the push rod out? Cut it out? Another question I had was after cutting the rod to length and getting it properly mounted, what keeps it from falling out of the dimple in the MC?

5. sponge003

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC

I cut it out of the booster and threaded the end just like in the beginning of this thread.

Nothing keeps it from coming out of the MC but your adjustment of the rod, it doesn't allow the pedal to move far enough away from the cylinder for the rod to fall out. Yes it could fall out is the answer.

There are pushrod kits with the rubber thing on the end that are available from summit, jegs etc.

6. silver_Z28

silver_Z28 Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Warner Robins, GA
    Thx Sponge. I think I will just order a push rod from summit. I saw some for like 10 bucks and need some other stuff anyway.

7. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    ^^^ I wouldn't ^^^

8. LidyGraphics

LidyGraphics New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Effingham, IL
    you need to make something to keep the rod from falling out or get a factory manual rod with the cup to hold it in. The rod can and will fall out eventually otherwise. if you cant find a factory rod you can make a rod out of a grade 8 bolt with the head cut off and a heim joint. You will then need to drill a hole in a piece of flat steel and welded it to pedal mount so the rod has to pass through it. This will act as a retainer for the rod.

9. silver_Z28

silver_Z28 Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Warner Robins, GA
  10. sponge003

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    Yes I seem to remember having to enlarge the mounting holes on the master a little bit