Manual Brakes Conversion for Drag Racing

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by 74RAT, Mar 16, 2010.

1. KennyM

KennyM New Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Moss Point,Ms
    Hey guys I hate to beat a dead horse.I am gonna have to basically redue things cause its been crazy.I have wrote all the part numbers down from top of the start of topic.I have the fenco nm1822 which now is a Duralast.I have brakes but,they still not right.I took it all back off and gonna start from scratch.I have a Wildwood adjustable pv and I do have the jegs line lock.I guess some questions is#1-Do I need a residual valve to the front with my Mc in stock location with running disc/disc brakes?
    #2-Do I need a 10lb residual valve to the rear with a 8.8 gear?
    #3-Are yall using the same factory hardline to the rear?
    #4-I noticed at the parts list they was the fittings 258430-could those that was from autozone be what I need or just stick to the way kyle has his?
    I hate to ask yall this and bring it back up but,I sure could use the help.
    Note *Im gonna be slow due to I had my left leg above the knee amputated on feb 17th.-I am trying but,its sore.I am working real hard to get back in the seat for sure but,want to be safe.I get my c-leg I hope in 2-3 weeks.I will sure thank yall for yalls patience with me in this time.*:bowtie:

2. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    I can answer a couple of the items

I did not run a proprtioning valve or 10 pound residual to the rear brakes

I ran stock brake line size also to the rear

3. KennyM

KennyM New Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Moss Point,Ms
    Ahh ok -thank you-this does help alot-I may just be more jumping the gun and worrying to much on it.Thank you for taking time with me on this.I have a line lock and hoping to put it in line for the fronts .

4. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Inspired by this thread, I bought a Dorman M39476 M/C. Made my choice after comparing different types in this article:

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/RacingMasterCylPN.html

A couple of remarks:
    1. Yes, you will have to elongate the mounting holes a bit;
    2. By choosing this type (24mm cylinder, so a bit under 1") you don't need any adapter flares as both exits are 3/8";
    3. Despite of earlier descriptions, this type seems to have a larger reservoir in front and smaller to the rear (only hard data was collected by sticking a finger in the reservoir and comparing the size/distance);
    4. By doing this I found out that both reservoirs ARE connected (could feel an opening above a baffle);
    5. The unit is really lightweight. Might be even lighter than an alu willwood cylinder, but will have to check.

So far my findings. Just want to let you know...

5. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Got more data on weight:

Wilwood M/C: 1120gr or 2.47lbs
    Dorman M39476: 870gr or 1.92lbs

Difference can be even more when topped up with fluid, as the cylinders on the Wilwood piece seem to have bigger capacity.

Overal, not a huge difference, but every gram/ounce is another one. Difference with a stock, iron unit is much more....