Manual backup door popper (doors shaved)

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Drag U, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Drag U

Drag U New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    SAINT LOUIS
    So my key fob died the other night while out, we had a hell of a time getting back into my 71.

What is the best way to fab a manual popper on these cars? Any pics would be great.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The best way is the original way. Get rid of the modifications and put on handles and door locks operated by keys. If reliability matters, stick with the old ways. The new ways will fail you too often.

Smokey15 and Blown Camaro like this.
  3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    A friend of mine eliminated the outside handles on his '79. He races it, on occasion. I asked him how the safety crew would get him out if he crashed? Bolt-in chrome 'show bar' as well.

4. Drag U

Drag U New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    SAINT LOUIS
    Gary, installing handles would be a chore. Everything is shaved on the car. Although it would eliminate my problem.

I have a 6 point cage and seats with appropriate harnesses. Cutoff switch and other safety equipment to pass tech. However Smokey that has crossed my mind.

5. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Carry an extra key fob with you. Otherwise you end up with some crazy-@ss McGyver thing.

6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Then if the car battery dies, is there a small inline back-up battery? I have passed on several vehicles because they had the handles removed.

7. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    You could hook up a cable to the release on the latch, run it through the door into the cowl were the pw wires go through then mount a small pull handle inside the wheelhouse. I've done it on an old square body Silveraldo years ago

budro6968 likes this.
  8. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    One of my buddies had a 67 VW Bug with suicide doors shaved & handles with the solenoid type lock openers. He always had to dick with them. Had Two cables run in the front trunk area to pull when they failed. The only trouble with opening the hood on newer cars is you have the release for the hood popper inside the car to get to the pull cable if installed. The bug was no trouble with that.

9. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Apr 6, 2004
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Could you add some external switches ?.

On my car I put small momentary switches on the underside of the sport mirrors that send a signal to a relay to activate the door actuators.

[​IMG]

I also had a buddy put one of these under each rocker sill to where you would with the toe of your shoe, push the switch in to activate the solenoid.

[​IMG]

I've also ordered bulk bicycle brake cable and sheathing that I could cut to length and have one end attached to the latch mechanism, then route the cable through the door jamb, and then have the other end inside the front wheel well, under the car, or inside the engine compartment if the hood could be opened from outside the car.

Jim

10. Drag U

Drag U New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    SAINT LOUIS
    I like that idea Jim and Bud. I will have to check into it this week.