MA VIN inspection......

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by 8pack, Nov 20, 2017.

1. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    MA requires a VIN inspection with 2 VINs to verify. On my ‘78 I believe there is one on the dash, one on the cowl tag and the one behind the blower motor. I don,t want to have to tear the car apart to get at the hidden VIN by the blower motor....anyone have any experience with MA inspectors and whether they really need to see 2 VINs? There is no issue with the VIN it is just a PIA to take it apart to get at the blower motor one as I have AC. The car is coming from PA with a clean title (VIN was Inspected in PA but they just need to see the dash plate) and was titled in NJ and CT before that.....if you prefer to PM or email me please feel free and I will share my contact information.

I may be getting a place there so I am trying to figure out in advance what I need to do. I posted in the engine section re: emissions which seem to be as bad as CA now....I may consider VT if that is the case!

Thanks!

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    There is no VIN on the cowl tag. That is a different number for the body only.
    The VIN is also on the door sticker if that sticker is still there. If not, there are also partial VINs on the engine and transmission if they have not been changed.

3. HawkX66

HawkX66 Member

Sep 20, 2017
    MI/MA
    If you have a title when you go to register it, they don't look at your VIN in Mass. That's unless there is something else involved.

4. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Got it! I went back and looked at my research and I confused MA and VT. I will have to repost with same question for VT.

Thanks!