Lynn's 71 Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by lhorne81, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I hear ya. It is tough trying to carve out time while juggling a job and family. I would try to spend more time on it in the evenings but my 2.5yr old daughters room backs up to our garage. At 8:00pm it is lights out, meaning the garage is closed. So right now it is every other Friday and Saturday's/Sundays for the time being.

Way back when, I scored a 76 Camaro from a guy that lived in my dorm. I was giving him a ride home every weekend and asked about a car that was covered in his driveway. He said it was his dads old Camaro and that it wasn't worth anything. I asked if he wanted to sell it, and he said "He'd probably give it to you if you wanted it". To make a long story short, I got the car for free (305, 3spd car with a Title!!!) and began to try to work on it. I was 19, my dad had just died and I had no idea what I was doing or how to go about fixing it. I was living with my mom and working on an asphalt driveway with a set of sockets and wrenches. I didn't get far on the car before I gave up, and gave it to a friend (who later scrapped it). Trying to help my mom make ends meet and going to school took it's toll on me. Over time I was able to finish school and stabilize financially. Even if I didn't have a car, the passion was always there. When I came across this car, I knew that it was going to be project. So I bought it and committed to fixing it. Now that I am a little older, a little wiser, have a garage and tools, I really want to prove to myself that I can get this one back on the road. It is important that I give this my best effort and try to make it nice. The thing that keeps me motivated it that there have been plenty of other folks that have done way more with way less than what I have. And from time to time, you will see a white business card and a purple piece of paper in some of my pictures. These are phone numbers of guys that have stopped by my house over the last 3 years while my garage door was open, and have offered to buy my car. This reminds me that there are guys out there that would like to have this car, and who would proudly work on it.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  2. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    It is a pain in the butt to work on a car on a gloomy day. And in Houston, pretty much the entire weekend was gloomy. Not having sunlight can really make your eyes play tricks on you. I did however work with a cheesy drop light, and tried to clean all the old glue and gunk off the remaining areas of the floorboard. There was a little surface rust in a few areas, but I put a wire wheel on the grinder and went to town. Here are pictures of my first attempt to clean up the interior.
    Passenger side Floorboard Prep.JPG
    Passenger side Floorboard Prep-1.JPG
    Passenger side Floorboard Prep-2.JPG

I also removed the piece of the old floorboard from the brace that will be re-installed on the driver side. Lots of spotwelds to grind down. My goal is to get this cleaned and prepped for reinstallation by this upcoming Friday.
    Driver Floor Brace.JPG

I am looking for an affordable way to deaden sound and protect the inside metal. I will likely weld in the driver side patch, do one more pass on cleaning the inside, then apply primer / sound deadner. How does that sound? Anything that I am missing?

3. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That would be rough, not wanting to disturb your daughter's sleep. Fortunately, my girls are old enough now and there is enough separation between the bedrooms and the garage that when I do start making noises in the garage, it won't really disturb them. Right now I'm looking for a place to get my body media blasted and primed so I can see just how much steel needs to be replaced in the wheel well area. Once I get that done, I will be close to putting things together instead of tearing it apart and that will feel very nice. However, I'm waiting on word on some contract positions before I can really spend money on it. If the one I hope to get comes through which it looks like it will, I will be able to get enough cash together to finish it the way I want it within my two year window I've given myself to finish it off.

4. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    Yeah, I'd bet it will be less work to replace the tail light panel than try to straighten that one for sure. It definitely looks like the tank was smashed, then painted. Weird.

5. DAVS_70LT1

DAVS_70LT1 New Member

May 8, 2017
    Keep up the hard work Lynn, it is all worth it in the end. I have a '70 LT1 RS/Z28 which my son and I fully restored when he was 14 (he just turned 21 this year). We spent 1 1/2 years on it almost every weekend. I promised to give him the keys when he turns 25 if he wants it. I photo logged everything but wasn't aware of this forum back then. Your work brings back good (and bad) memories. Keep it up!

6. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    Thank you sir. I have an idea of what it will look like in the end, and I know that I will enjoy it once it's completed.

7. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I had a pretty productive weekend working on the car. Here is how my weekend went:

Friday I started out by going and picking up my lower quarter patch for the passenger side and the taillight panel. When I got home I went ahead and removed any remaining weather stripping around both windows, and man was it rotten. I then took a wire cup brush along with a stripping wheel to the windshield, then the drivers side door jamb and firewall area, and finally around the roof/pilar/upper quarter area on the driver side.
    Door Jamb - Driver.JPG Firewall - Cowl - Driver.JPG

I had to stop early on Friday to rescue my daughter from day care, so it wasn't a full day. Saturday, a friend of mine came over and we tackled the floorpan. We made some final adjustments, prepped the area one last time (applied rust inhibitor to the insides of the cross braces), then welded in the pan and ground down the welds. I am planning on primering the inside, then applying seam sealer where needed. Once that was completed, my friend left and I continued trying to clean the passenger side door jamb before mamma rang the dinner bell.
    Floorboard Replacement - Driver 1.JPG Floorboard Replacement - Driver 2.JPG
    Floorboard Replacement - Driver 3.JPG Doorjamb - Passenger.JPG

On Sunday I installed the rear brace that goes underneath the driver side seat (no pictures). My friend came back over (as seen in the pics) and we started on the rear taillight panel. This is where my weekend gets bad. After cutting through several crappy spot welds, we were able to remove the rear panel.
    Taillight Removal.JPG Taillight Panel Removal - Driver .JPG
    Taillight Panel Removal - Passenger - 1.JPG Taillight Panel Removal - Passenger - 2.JPG
    Post to be continued.

8. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I was somewhat happy with the comparison of the replacement panel vs. what came off the car.
    Taillight Panel Comparison - 2.JPG Taillight Panel Comparison.JPG
    For the most part, everything lines up quite well. It was our determination that the taillight panel needed to be replaced before moving on to the lower quarter patches. But then, after getting a better look at the trunk, I decided I might as well go ahead and replace it.
    Trunk Damage.JPG
    Looking at the rear inner valence panel, it has a lot of surface rust. I think that I can salvage this when removing the trunk pan (fingers crossed). But now I have speculation as to how bad the previous repair job was. Notice the spot welds from the previous taillight panel:
    IMG_1033.JPG
    From comparing what the inner valence looks like to a new one out of Classic Industries, it looks like the didn't remove all of the previous taillight panel when repairing the car (hence all the spotwelds in previous photo). Notice the loops on both sides going into the quarter. These loops are supposed to be a part of the taillight panel, not the inner valence according to Classic Industries. Further investigation needed on my part.
    Crossrail Driver 1.JPG IMG_1029.JPG
    See all the flux from brazing:
    Taillight Panel - Flux.JPG IMG_1032.JPG
    Crossrail Driver 1.JPG IMG_1029.JPG

9. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    From that point I wanted to do a mock up of the taillight panel and a lower patch panel. I noticed a significant gap between the two, where they are supposed to meet. My question to the NastyZ community is this: Are the following LH (K44510) and RH (K44511) extensions needed to close the gap? The part number and screenshot are out of Classic Industries. Extension.png

Thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me where these go.

I just went ahead and ordered a trunk pan. My guy says it will be 2-3 weeks, but I won't have to pay for freight or anything since it is delivered on a truck.

jsibayan likes this.
  10. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I am still trying to understand how the rear of the car comes together. I understand there is a rear inner valence panel (that is what I am seeing in the pictures above), along with a left and right extension(s) that mate the said panel with the lower quarter panels (file photo from Classic Industries also shown above). What I am trying to understand is if there is yet another panel that goes between the trunk pan, the valence panel and the quarter panel. This are in the bottom most corner (with what I mistakenly referred to as "loops") in the above pictures. Is this what Classic Industries is calling the Trunk Lower Side Panels?
    Trunk Lower Side Panel - LH Classic Industries.png

I imagined this panel being behind the lower quarter panel that mates up to the frame. Am I mistaken?

I am guessing that I am not the first person to tackle replacing the rear taillight panel on these cars, so if anyone has any guidance or suggestions on how to go about doing so, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Lynn

Attached Files: