Lynn's 71 Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by lhorne81, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    This last Friday our offices were closed, so I managed to put in a little time on the car. I had just a few hours, but managed to prepare the driver side quarter.

Before:
    Driver Side Before.JPG

After:
    Driver Side After.JPG

You can see damage to the driver side lower quarter, so I went ahead and ordered a patch panel. It should be coming in shortly. If you look close enough, you can see the amount of filler that was used to cover up the damage.

Driver Side Lower Quarter.JPG

The roof was a different story. Since I couldn't put a whole lot of pressure on the sander when working (in fear of denting the sheetmetal), it took me forever to get the paint off. I started by using two coats of stripper and scraping what I could off; then taking the sander across it. This picture is when I was about to apply the second coat of stripper.
    Roof.JPG

The roof is almost done (more pictures to come). Hopefully I can finish it off this evening after work. My near-term goal is to get this rear panel and deck lid stripped by New Years day.
    This picture was taken before I started sanding the driver side quarter.
    IMG_0873.JPG

Not as much progress as I originally hoped for, but at least I had a few minutes to work on it. Still need to take all the old, nasty weather stripping off and concentrate on the hard to reach areas. A friend of mine lent me his portable sandblaster. We will see how it works once I put some media in it. Hopefully it doesn't kill my compressor.

71RSLS likes this.
  2. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Prairie City, Ia
    Nice work. Progress is still progress. That's what everyone tells me any how. Haha

3. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
  4. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    After traveling to San Antonio last Thursday for my wife's annual family get together, to Dallas on Friday & Saturday for the Cotton Bowl, and then cooking and cleaning all day Sunday...I was finally able to put in a little time on the car yesterday. I must have removed what felt like 20lbs of filler just from the decklid alone. And at one time these awful orange stripes were purple. Looks like someone tried to cover up the purple stripes and did a terrible job doing so.
    Decklid - Left.JPG

Making my way left to right, I started questioning if this decklid is salvageable with filler or if I should keep my eyes out for a reasonably priced replacement. What would cause a decklid to do this?
    Decklid - Right 2.JPG

Any ideas? I would say hail damage, or a repair gone terribly wrong.
    Decklid - Right.JPG

I was able to remove a little paint from the rear panel, but still have a ways to go. I also need to cleanup the door jambs and around the windshield (front and rear). Hopefully the wife signs a permission slip for me so I can get in the garage after work this evening. It is cold as can be in Houston, but I need to stay focused on getting it lined out.
    Happy New Year to all NastyZ followers.

5. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    Thats definitely a repair gone horribly wrong. It had to of been hit there and someone tried to straighten it, sucks you spent all that time and materials on that one, pitch it and get another one. Besides that keep up the good work.

6. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I put in some time on the car this past Saturday and Sunday. Starting on a cold Saturday morning, I removed the brake line from the driver side and dropped the gas tank. Luckily the tank is almost bone dry inside, so no immediate attention is needed. The bottom of the gas tank is mangled beyond belief. I kick myself in the butt for not taking a picture of it over the weekend, but I will do so next time I am in the garage. I am planning on replacing it later on down the road. The straps are definitely reusable; so I have that going for me. I also disconnected the inlet valve and lines for the air shocks (also will be replaced). At that point a friend of mine came over to lend a hand, and we tackled the floorboard. We started by drilling out visible spot welds over the supporting braces and then took an air chisel to the rest. With the help of a cutoff wheel on a grinder, we removed the old sections of the floorboard by lunchtime.

This is the front half of the removed section (brace not visible)
    Floorboard Removal-1.JPG

This is up front where the toe board is. We had to massage the replacement panel in the leftmost corner of where I cut.
    Floorboard Removal-2.JPG

This is closer to where the seat will be. Notice that we removed the other brace as it does not go across the entire floorboard, where the other brace does. I am in the process of cleaning this to reinstall in the patch.
    Floorboard Removal.JPG

This is the back portion of the cut that exposes the leaf spring mount.
    Floorboard Removal-3.JPG

That was where we left off on Saturday afternoon. Since I had a few family commitments on Saturday evening, it sat idle for about 15hrs. Starting on Sunday morning, I removed as many remaining spot welds and other debris to start test fitting the panel. I used a flapper wheel on my grinder and got the area prepped pretty well. We had to notch out a few areas around where the drivers left foot would extend to (around the toe board - firewall area). Overall, I am pleased with the preliminary fit.
    Floorboard Patch 1.JPG
    Floorboard Patch 2.JPG

I further prepped the area to start welding in the patch panel and as luck would have it, I was out of shielding gas. This really ticked me off since I went to the welding supply shop this past Friday to get my acetylene exchanged. Had I known that my 75/25 was empty, I would have taken it too. So I was able to spend a little more time over cleaning the area to be patched are reorganized the garage before attending a late afternoon birthday party for my brother-in-law. All in all it was a productive weekend.

I also looked closer at the rear taillight panel. Upon further review, I am leaning towards replacing it. I am thinking that it was replaced once before from a donor car, and it was never really fitted correctly. Can you see the welds? This obviously wasn't factory. I need to take a few better pictures so you guys can see how extensive the damage is. I can speculate that it was probably picked up by a wrecker from the rear and it bent the lower portion of the taillight panel. More pictures to come.
    Taillight Panel 1.JPG

I also took a picture while my friend was test fitting the patch panel.

Lower Quarter Patch Fitment.JPG

All comments and critique are appreciated! Hope everyone had a great weekend.

7. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Jan 2, 2012
    New Zealand
    Not sure which welds you mean but given the state of the that trunk lid, the mangled gas tank and possibly the replaced taillight panel, it would be worth taking a real close look at the whole rear of the car before cutting and welding.

I’d level the car on jackstands and cross check things like the rear frame rails, bumper mounts and leaf spring mounting points with a tape measure and plumb bob (dimensioned factory diagrams are on this site), Also run a wire wheel over the all of the pinch welded joints looking for signs of twisting, torn spot welds or repairs and check out the rear wheel tubs, parcel tray and rolled pan under the bumper

8. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    It is tough to see, but in my second to last picture there are a few gold welds in the metal. I am guessing this was from a dent puller that got ground down.

Good suggestion. I have not measured frame welds or anything like that, but from the naked eye, the frame rails, the leaf spring mounting points, the inside rear wheel tubs and parcel tray all look ok. Maybe "mangled" was the wrong word to describe the gas tank. Basically the lower half of the gas tank is dented in from the bottom. It doesn't look like an impact dent from the rear of the car; it almost looks like someone tried to jack the car up from under the gas tank. There's no telling what happened to the car.

9. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    It's looking like you are making some good progress, that's giving me the itch to get back in the garage and see what I can get done on mine here.

10. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I set aside a few minutes to take some pictures of the welds that I was referring to. It looks like this panel has been replaced in a previous life. Probably from a donor car.

WARNING!!! The images you are about to view could make you sick to your stomach.

I got about halfway through taking paint off this panel when I stopped and said "You're wasting your time, this is going to probably have to be replaced."
    Taillight Panel-1.JPG
    Driver side Taillight panel.JPG

Notice the gold spots
    Driver sid Tailight Panel Fix.JPG
    Driver side Quarter-Taillight.JPG
    Passenger side taillight panel.JPG
    More gold spots and lots of mud
    Passenger side Tailight Panel Fix.JPG
    And a machine screw to hold it together at the bottom.
    Passenger side Quarter-Taillight Panel.JPG
    Gas Tank Filler Patch.JPG

Any theories on what could have caused this? So the dent is on the passenger side as it sits in the car. I guess someone decided to paint the tank while it was still in the car. And probably after it was caved in. I don't think that this is fixable either.
    Gas Tank.JPG

Is this savable?
    Gas Tank 1.JPG

I am guessing that I will have to replace this taillight panel. With it being on the car, it is going to be a pain to try to straighten all these problems out. And since I am going to have to install two lower patches, I might as well replace this too.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Any advice is appreciated.