Lynn's 71 Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by lhorne81, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Have a happy Thanksgiving as well! I may take a bit of time when the rest of the family is out shopping on Friday to get into the garage and do some work out there. I do need to reorganize things somewhat since I moved my 77 Midget in out of the weather so it makes it very difficult to work on anything. Time to get that taken care of and start working on the Camaro as the budget allows.

2. lhorne81

lhorne81 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    Right there with you. I make it a priority for my wife's daily driver to be inside the garage. And every time I want to work on my car I have to move the lawn mower, edger, weed eater, gas can and a pair of ramps.

3. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Fortunately for me, I don't have all that stuff, I have a yard crew that comes by but I do have my Camaro body on a rotisserie and my 77 MG Midget in my side of the garage and a bunch of boxes and junk on her side. She doesn't park in the garage but wanted one side of it to be kept clear for access in and out which actually works well normally. I just need to reorganize things after bringing the MG in from outside where it was starting to rust out really bad from rain getting in it.

4. lhorne81

lhorne81 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I was able to turn a few wrenches on the car this last weekend. Removing that parking brake cable was a pain because the nut and bolt were rusted and didn't want to budge. I had to persuade it out and in doing so, I damaged it. So I'll add that to the running parts order.

I pulled the back glass out. It is in good shape, so I am going to store it in a safe place until a little further down the road. Notice the replacement floorpan laying inside the car.
    IMG_0825.JPG

A friend of mine came over to look at the floorboard with me. He convinced me to go ahead and remove the doors and front fenders. Notice acetylene in the background. Lots of stuck bolts.
    IMG_0831.JPG

My buddy also said that if he were in my shoes, he would take an angle grinder with a sanding disc on it and take the paint off the car that way. His logic is that there looks to be quite a few layers of paint on the carriage of the car, and it would likely take me numerous gallons of stripper to take it off. Since the passenger side door of the car is dented pretty bad, I decided to test his theory on the door that I am not planning to use, just to see what he is talking about. I only did half the door since I needed to take care of my daughter.
    IMG_0834.JPG
    I am no expert, but this looks rough. I was told that primer would be able to cover up metal that looks like this, but man does this thing look scary or what? I have another set of doors that I am planning on using since there is damage to this passenger door; so I don't feel too bad about assaulting this metal. Call me a wimp, but I am afraid to attack the whole carriage using this method. Thoughts? Ideas?

Upon further inspection, I noticed that in the insides of the fenders were never painted. They were just black. So this leads me to believe that they are reproduction fenders. Here is a picture from Sunday when I decided to start stripping the paint off the front fenders.
    IMG_0833.JPG

I have the driver side fender about 90% complete. Some of that paint just doesn't want to come off. I am guessing that I am going to have to run a DA sander over it with 80 grit. The passenger side fender is currently 75% ready. I was right in the middle of stripping it when my daughter woke up and put the brakes on me finishing it.

I am making a little progress here and there. My goal by Christmas is to finish prepping the front fenders, chemical strip the header panel and lower front valence. As far as the carriage goes, I am considering having it blasted. Does anyone have any recommendations for blasting services in Houston? I am on a tight budget (hence why I have approached the car with chemical stripping and an angle grinder), but I couldn't imagine that blasting just the carriage would cost an arm and a leg. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

5. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    If you are looking for an easier way to strip it 3m makes stripping pads you can put on an angle grinder or buffer that strip pretty quickly and dont damage the metal like rough sandpaper or harsh abrasives. The chemical stripper works well too but I always seem to get it places I didnt want and it was a pain to clean up. I found the pads to be far more convienent. Eastwood carries them but they are expensive there, last time I found them at Amazon for roughly half the price.

6. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    There was a place on Spring-Cypress, behind Spring Gun and Ammo, that gave me a quote of around ~$1000 to blast and prime my body but it looks like they may have closed although I do see a bunch of cars around there still. It is/was called Enviro Clean. That was the best price I've found around the area so far and one of these days I'm going to try contacting them to see if they are still there or not.

7. lhorne81

lhorne81 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas

So I got a hand full of the paint/rust stripping pads that attach to my angle die grinder (pneumatic). I scooped them up from a dealer at the last swap meet. I have used them in a couple of small spots on the car where I was curious to see if rust was forming. I like the pads, they work like a charm; my only concern is the amount of heat they produce while stripping paint. Since I am a novice, I am worried about warping body panels. I am guessing that we are talking about the same type of stripping pads. If we are not, please let me know which wheel you are talking about.

stripping wheel.jpg

When I was testing the sanding disc (4" electric grinder), I was moving very quickly across the door to risk not generating heat.

Thanks for the reply.

8. lhorne81

lhorne81 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    Excellent! I know exactly where that is. A while back I got a few quotes from places but were all over $1,000 (without even shooting primer on it). I will make an effort to go by there this weekend and check it out.

Thanks for the reply.

9. Da-bigguy

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    You are welcome. When I stopped by there to talk to them they told me they typically blasted cars on the weekends, weather depending so hopefully you can see some work being done. I got their name from a body shop a little further west down Spring-Cypress, Bob's Autobody or something to that effect. I went there to ask where he got his bodies cleaned and he told me about enviro clean. If the Enviro clean place is now closed it may be worth it to stop by Bob's again and ask. He was working on some very nice cars when I was there.

10. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    You bring up an excellent point about the heat that I forgot about. I also had heard they can warp the panel if you stayed on one place to long so I was careful not to stay in one area for too long and I had no issues. I probably wasn't generating as much heat with my set as you are though. I bet my buffer wasn't spinning as fast as your angle grinder and I used a 7" pad, with these pads I had a tendency to use the outside edge of the pad for the best results which would have also reduced the speed compared to the 4" ones in turn reducing the heat generated. Mine looked very similar, the pads I have are black and the abrasive material has a little give to it.