Lynn's 71 Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by lhorne81, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Nice car, pretty sure you are correct and those are 4th gen seats, they even look to be reupholstered in the factory manner. I have a set of 4th gen's in mine and they actually fit really well and are comfortable, you may want to test them out before you get rid of them unless you are going for a more original look. Good luck on the project!

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Welcome to the forum Lynn. I know what you mean about a tight budget. Kids, wife and bills eat up most of a paycheck.

3. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Welcome to the forum from another north Houston area resident! I've been working on my 71 project for at least 10 years now and I'm a looooooong way from being done myself although I have given myself a deadline of no more than 2 years to finish it off now as my eldest daughter will be reaching 16 around then and she will need a car to drive so I'm going to drive my Camaro as a daily and she can have the 07 Exploder I'm driving now.

4. lhorne81

lhorne81 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    Thanks for the welcomes guys. This is a great group of people.

Sorry I haven't posted anything since last week, the Astros kept me out of the garage!

I wanted to send a few pics of the driver side floorboard.
    Floor Driver Side1.JPG

I need to vacuum out all the debris, but as you can see these will definitely need to be fixed.
    Floor Driver Side 2.JPG

I ended up ordering (and already receiving) a replacement panel from a local dealer (saved on shipping!).

My near-term goal of this Sunday is to remove the dash, the pedal assembly, the shifter, the rear inside molding (not shown in pictures) and the windshield. My stretch goal is to start cutting out the old floorboard to install the replacement by Thanksgiving.

I was also able to trade in a leftover grille from a 76 model, a couple of 3 piece spoilers and some badges from a 76 to my dealer for store credit. I am hoping to use that credit to purchase subframe bushings as mine are rotten and falling apart.

5. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Hi Lynn: I am not to far away near the intersection of FM 1960 (Cypress Creek Parkway) and Veterans Memorial. I too have a 1971 (RS) that is close to the final part of the rebuild (exterior body and paint). Let me know if you need an extra body

6. lhorne81

lhorne81 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I was able to break away and put in a little time on the car last night. I was able to remove the dashboard (first time out of three second gen Camaros that I have owned), along with vacuuming the trunk and inside of the car. I was feeling a little ambitious later in the evening, so I decided to remove the windshield.

Lesson Learned: Don't wear flip flops and handle glass
    Dashboard removed.JPG

Damage to the upper cowl:
    Upper Cowl.JPG

A special thanks to the previous owner who decided to bondo the cowl instead of patching it. It's ironic that the comb that I found is dangerously close to the same shade of filler.
    Upper Cowl 3.JPG

I went ahead and put the shop light under the floor board when I removed the shifter and got a few pictures.
    Driver side floorboard front.JPG

Not that anyone needed more proof that the floorboard needs to be replaced...
    Driver side floorboard rear.JPG

Next on the list is to remove all wiring, pedal assembly, wiper motor and master cylinder.

7. eagz28

eagz28 New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    deptford nj
    Hi Lynn ,welcome.Ah the memories been there ,done that.I replaced my trunck without removing the tail panel just trimmed it so it was
    welded in places that looked right and then ground the welds top & bottom .covered with por 15 came out great. You have to trim the trunck patch panel no matter what.The secret for me was to have the panel over lap the hole by 1/4 to 1/8 inch clean the outer inch of both the panel & car,top & bottom,Put some weight in the center, level it all around . then start tacking & rechecking.Dont weld long parts at a time it will warp.
    good luck
    chris

8. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Wow that cowl looks like it was loaded up with old chewing gum, like what you find under a chair at a restaurant.

9. lhorne81

lhorne81 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas

Good to know Chris. I appreciate all the advice. Since there is only a few spots that have obvious holes in them, I thought that I would try to patch the areas with pieces of 22 or 18 gauge steel. The trunk would probably be a forgiving area for me to hone my welding skills before I start on the cowl or floorpan. At the end of the day, it is going to be a budget built car that will never have mirrors underneath it. Worst case scenario, if I bungle the repair, then I will buy that complete trunk patch panel and do what you have outlined.

Thanks again for the guidance.

10. lhorne81

lhorne81 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    Ya, I was kicking around the idea of buying that replacement cowl patch and preparing myself to start cutting 65 spotwelds; but after watching that episode of Muscle Car where they fabricated a replacement patch on that 70 1/2 (Project Limelight from 2011), I told myself "At least try it...you can't mess it up any worse than it already is, and if you somehow damage it beyond repair, then bite the bullet and buy a replacement panel". Looking forward to starting back on it when I get back in town. Currently visiting my older sister and brother-in-law in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Have a happy Thanksgiving.