Lynn's 71 Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by lhorne81, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lhorne81

lhorne81 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    Hello all. My name is Lynn. I live in Spring, Texas and have a 71 Camaro that is in desperate need of fixing. I bought the car back in 2010, and am just getting around to working on it. Although it has been a tough journey to get where I am at right now, I am not going to complain. I'm here, I have a car and it's time that it gets completed. I have frequented this forum for quite a while and have really been inspired to get started on this project.

I figured that I should start taking pictures of the car before I get any further.
    Driver Front.JPG

My wife bought me the cowl hood a while back. I was able to remove it and store it safely in the garage right after taking this picture. Driver Rear.JPG

Horrible racing stripes from previous owner.
    Passenger Interior1.JPG

These are the seats that came with it. They almost look to be out of a fourth gen Camaro, but the red and black leather are hardly stock. I am not going to reuse these, so if you know someone that may be interested in them, let me know.
    Driver Side Front 2.JPG

I pulled the motor and trans out last weekend. Nothing special, a 350 with cast iron heads and a turbo 350. The sad thing is that this car was originally a 4 speed car. The clutch pedal is still in it (more pictures to follow).

I'll post more pictures as they become available. I was able to remove the seats and carpet on Saturday, then got tied up with the World Series and Football on Saturday night/Sunday.

Attached Files:

2. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    Welcome to Nasty Z , looks like a good car to start with. Your avatar is frigin hilarious

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Welcome to the site. Looks like a solid car and you are off to a good start. As you know there are plenty of knowable members here to help if you need it.

4. sickfast1964

sickfast1964 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Corinth, Tx
    Welcome from a fellow Texan :bowtie:

5. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    Welcome! My 71 is white and also came with the three pedal set up . . . for a powerglide, haha.

6. HBomb

HBomb New Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Nice solid car to start with! Going to put it back to a 4 speed or keep it auto?

7. lhorne81

lhorne81 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    HBomb - I would love to throw a four speed in (or even a five speed) if I could get one reasonably. But since I already have the TH350 and I am on a tight budget, the immediate plan is to put it back in and have some fun.

8. lhorne81

lhorne81 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    bodymanbill - Thanks for the welcome. I wanted a good picture of my car as my avatar, but that's impossible right now. So I thought, why not use something funny.

I have seen some of your posts regarding sheet metal replacement, so I have a feeling that I am going to be asking you quite a few questions.

bodymanbill likes this.
  9. lhorne81

lhorne81 New Member

May 26, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I pulled all the trim, rear bumper, tail lights and cheap plastic side mirrors off the car. I need to get a better picture of the lower rear valence. I am not sure if it can be salvaged or if I should bite the bullet and buy a replacement.
    Rear1.JPG
    There are a couple of holes in the trunk pan. I see that I can buy a replacement for about $100, but if I am not mistaken, that means that I will have to remove the tail light panel to install correctly.
    Trunk1.JPG
    One of the holes that I just described.
    Trunk2.JPG

The other hole. (White paint flakes, not daylight).
    Trunk3.JPG

I noticed that the tail light panel is the original color of the car (blue). I was surprised to see this because I thought that this panel had been replaced at sometime. I'll have to take pictures this evening of where the tail light panel meets the rear quarters. It looks mangled.

So am I correct in assuming that I have to remove the tail light panel before installing a replacement trunk pan?

More pics to follow.

10. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

May 21, 2014
    Hutto, TX
    Yes, that's the right way to do it.