LT1 Oil Pump compatibility?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Mullerice, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Almost certainly a basic question, but I am a novice with Chevy small blocks!

Would the oil pump from a mid 1990's LT1 engine be compatible with a gen 1 small block? I mean, will the casting pattern match up with the gen 1 main cap, or will it need too much modifying to make it happen?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I don't see why it wouldn't. However...Why not just buy the correct oil pump for the engine you got?

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    +1 - the pump should work, however I think the pickup might be different.
    Oil Pumps are cheap, and can destroy you engine quicker than pretty much anything if they are bad. Don't screw around, buy a new one.

4. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Thanks for the response. A friend has an LT1 pump going free, so the motivation is to save some cash! I'm rebuilding a gen 1 engine and bought the 1973 lump as a half engine, so plenty of parts to buy - any saving helps.

5. Mullerice

Mullerice Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Posts crossed. Thanks both, looks like it isn't a risk worth taking which is ok; as a novice these tips are much appreciated and it's not the end of the world saving for a bit longer to have the extra peace of mind.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Some things are not worth saving the money, especially if they are difficult to replace later