ls1 engine swap

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 78rallysport, May 5, 2009.

1. 78rallysport

78rallysport Veteran Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I know its popular to drop ls1 engines into 2nd gen camaros. Has anyone done an ls1 engine swap along with a 6speed manual transmision to a later 2nd gen (year 78 to be specific). What specific parts will be needed ive know im gonna need some engine mounts but dont know specificaly. and ive heard it could be somewhat expensive what if i do all the work myself and get the engine trans cheap, like ballpark how much off the top of your head?

2. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    Have a look in High Tech Retrofits section.

3. 7T3LS1

7T3LS1 Veteran Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    I installed an LS1/T56 in my 73. It's an extensive change over, almost everything is different than stock. I'm in Orange County. If you want to drop by and look my car over for ideas, let me know.

Since your car is still in the smog program, one thing you have to worry about is still staying smog legal and that is a pain in the a**.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV

I would definitly do some research. Your right you will quickly find out theres alot involved to make it all work. The worst part is its very expensive too! Unless you can get a good deal on an LS1, your going to spend upwards of a few grand for the engine alone (used). Factor in another $1500 or so for a T56. If it were me I would build up a generation I SBC or BBC and get a TKO. If fuel injection is important, an aftermarket kit from Eddy ect will suit that need. For the money comparison and the azz pain...you could end up with a more powerful fuel injected combo cheaper than the LS1/T56 swap. All that money and only 300hp to show for it.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  5. jakeshoe

jakeshoe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 8, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    I disagree.
    An LSx engine has the capability to make much more power per cube than a Gen I SBC, it comes stock with aluminum heads, gear reduction starter, roller cam, long rods, etc.
    You could set it up as a carbed setup for about $750 plus carb of choice (about the same as a good carb intake, distributor, ignition box, etc)
    A used LS truck engine can be had for hundreds, not thousands, and that is complete with harness and ECM.

I'm selling new 6.0 crate engines with L92 heads for $3000. They are complete minus harness and ECM. A cam swap and this is a 500+ capable HP engine.

I have CTS oil pans for $180 shipped that will fit a 2nd Gen chassis.
    A Spectre fuel tank for $450 and about $200 worth of plumbing for the rest of the system.

You end up money ahead by using the LS platform as far as engine, and you can use an OEM T56 setup instead of an aftermarket trans that has been adapted to work.

A good used T56 can be had for $800-1000, quite a bit cheaper than a TKO.

6. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    starts instantly and runs properly when cold, and pounds out 20+mpg...

7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    Amen

And when are you going to send/post pictures of said car............:p

Right after I call you right???:eek:

8. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    When your talking an LQ4 engine thats a totally different story as far as cost goes. He wants an LS1 not just any LSX engine. As far as the T56...Exactly! a USED tranny. You can get a used TKO for that price too...The newer motors dont get 20mpg because they are an LS whatever....its fuel injection a computer monitoring. I challenge anyone to look around...Unless you have a hook-up or billy Bob that doesnt know what he has...your going to pay some good change for an LS1 and it will have some mileage on it.
    They did a 6.0 LS build-up on Horsepower TV a while ago and they didnt even get 500hp out of it...

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  9. 7T3LS1

7T3LS1 Veteran Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    Hi Dave!!

Ok, I'll post some pics soon. I kinda got off the Camaro project for awhile because I got myself a German Shepherd puppy and he's been taking up alot of my time.

I still don't have the car totally reassembled. I was working on the guages today (Autometer Ultralites). Got all of them working except for the fuel gauge. The car runs and moves under it's own power, but still some minor interior and body reassembly to do. I can't decide whether to just put it together now, and take it apart again later, or wait until I save enough for the body and paint work. It's still butt ugly green.

Ok, enough of my threadjack :)

Regarding the LS1 engines or SBC, my prior hobby car was a 72 Nova with a built 350. It made 355 HP at the rear wheels verified by a dyno. At the same time I owned a 99 Z28. The Z28 was much faster with a torque curve that seemed to climb all the way from start to 140 MPH (ok, I only did that once, I promise). Even at 140, it was still pulling hard. The LS1 engine makes much more power and torque in the right spots and I got a best of 28 MPG on a really long road trip. In my opinion, it's no contest.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  10. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Wow...1st the Nova is a heavier car by a long shot compared to the 4th gen. 2nd did the Nova have a 6 speed overdrive tranny?
    3rd was the nova fuel injected and have aluminum heads?
    Im not saying the LS1 is a bad engine at all! What I am saying is these engine hold alot of value. Since its not a direct drop in and go motor, one should really crunch some numbers before saying its the best choice.